Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Do you plan to use our Chat Room?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

this topic is to leave a date and time when you'll be on-line in our chat room.

This way it would be much easier for all of us to meet in on-line/live chat.

So, just specify a date and time for the on-line meeting in this topic. Then, you can use one of several methods to invite your board friends to the meeting, such as our Private Messaging or Send Mail menu item.

When the day and time arrives, all participants view the chat-session entry and participate in the meeting.

You can also create your own private Chat Room and password it, so only those participants which received the password and room name would be able to access the chat.

Access our Chat room:
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/chat/flashchat.php
or click on the "Chatroom" link at the top navigation menu.

Enjoy
Joe

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how to get in the Chatroom. Never done that before. Very computer illiterate.

·
Registered
187 Posts
OK, I found the chatroom, but the time thing is confusing- I'm in the UK, lots of you are in America or Canada and others in Australia. So My "quick look" at lunchtime [12.30-1.00 pm] and the evening look 8.00pm to 10.00 pmish depending how boring the TV is or what we are doing matches up to what time for you lot?:uhoh:

The time at the bottom of the screen says 6.20am, here its 12.25pm. I'll have another look this evening at about 9.00pm [here] or is that 15.30?????

Sarah

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maggies Mum

I am trying to figure out what time you will be in the chat room. What time zone are you in? And you said 6pm right?

I have never been in an online chat room before, so I am a little nervous. But I figure there will be many people there. :hide:

It looks like it is close to midnight there now on Thursday and it is 7am here on Thursday. So when it is 6pm there it must be about 1am here. I may not make it. :( Oh well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Meggies Mum said:
Gday members, I will be on line if anyone wants to chat on friday june 3rd at @ 6pm- (or 9am saturday for those Aussies here!) Look forward to getting to know other members!
Okay, :wave: I am in Australia, it will be 9am saturday here, midnight FRIDAYin the UK, and anywhere between 5pm- 8pm FRIDAY in the states depending where you are from what I gather!:crossfing
Check the link from Joe, it is very helpful!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I was going to try to be there but....I'm old and I forgot? Sorry!

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What about setting another chat day:
Saturday, 18 of June 9 AM EST?
Joe

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys, chatroom is kind of empty lately. What would be a best day and time to make a little chat session?

·
Old Guy
3,258 Posts
Hey Joe... a chat room is a very different kind of communication medium. I not sure if everyone will feel comfortable trying it out for the first time... and I'll just bet there are a lot of members on this forum have never tried it before. Also look at the large number of 'guests' and forum members who have never posted... it can be very intimidating to just 'jump' right in if you've never done it before... so let me try to increase the comfort level...

What is a chat room and how does it work? Its a place where you converse with others in real time... its like a written phone conversation (a conference call sort of). A Window opens up and you have a sidebar with the psuedo-names of everyone 'in' this chatroom. Everyone in this chatroom will see whatever you type/send. You can see what's been said (typed/sent) in a main window... it will scroll as the conversation ensues. Each 'speaker' will have their name preceding their comments, so you know who 'said' what. You will have a text box at the bottom of the window where you can type in your comments and then send it to the chatroom... that's how you join in the conversation. Most chatroom software looks about how I just described it, so if this forum's chatroom software differs from what I've described above please correct me... Thanks.

Now with this new type of communication comes new complications... in a forum, you have time to gather your thoughts, change wording, correct grammar and spelling (use SpelChek) and decide how your posting will be viewed and make any adjustments before you 'submit' (well if you are like me, that's what you do)... but since chatrooms are in 'real time', you've got to just 'chuck' good grammar, spelling, composure, et al out the window and just let go and be yourself. Because of the delay factor, many of us really slow typers (I'm always one of the slowest) get way out of sync with the conversation... by the time I compose and get it all typed out the conversation has moved to the point where my comments are irrelevant. So there is an attempt to speed things up to a feverish pitch (read this as stress), now add to that several people in the chatroom all 'talking' at once and it can get real crazy (hard to follow), real fast. Also unlike in a forum posting, long-winded soliloquies (much like this one) becomes impossible... so pretty much all conversation becomes short phrases or one-liners or even just one word responses... this severely limits the usability of the medium for normal conversation. So I'd like to now propose several things...

Firstly, instead of posting 'meeting times' how about just using a PM (private messaging) to invite someone who is already online (on the forum) into the chatroom. I learned about doing this on another forum... Everyone was trying set-up met times and it wasn't working... then someone invited me into chatroom one day and we had a fun conversation... the next day someone else invited me to chat and we were joined later by a third person, it was fun, then it happen yet again (a simple 3-way conversation, easy to follow, later one person left and someone joined)... FINALLY it dawned on me that this was the best way to use this medium! With only 2 or 3 or 4 people in the chatroom it removed much of the craziness and made conversation much easier to participate-in and to follow along with.

Secondly, at the very start of a chat session I always ask for the understanding and patience of the other parties because I'm such a slow typer... I likewise will be very patient about waiting for responses... and if I'm going to be long-winded, I will type in something like 'long winded response' and do it in installments followed with a "..." (because most chatroom software limits the number of characters that can be typed into the text box before being sent).

Thirdly, I know its tough for many people to initiate conversation with a complete stranger (that's really what we are here)... just remember we all have one thing in common... we like animals and we love Goldens, so start by asking the usual stuff (How many Goldens do you live with? How old is s/he? Where did you get him/her from? Where are you from? How's the weather there? etc.) It gets easier the more you do it... If you get me in the 'room', please understand I don't mind conversation pauses, there's no need for speed, and I am usually an easy person to chat with.

Finally, if your invite gets turned down don't take it personally... remember you have no idea of what's going on where the other person is... people don't always have the time for a chat. Chatting is very time consuming and a half-hour will past like in an instant... once you've done it, you will know exactly what I'm talking about. And when there is time to chat most people don't have much more than a half-hour.

So to start the ball rolling... if anyone would like to chat with me, I often have some time available in the late evenings say after 11PM (EasternStandardTime) if you can catch me online in the forum posting something, just give me a invite.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Monomer,
if you'd like you could help out and write a page, which I would add as a link to the top header of this forum, which would explain how this whole thing works.
It would probably be a big help for all newbies, also I would really appreciate it, as I am usually swamped with so many projects I am working on.
Please PM me if you're interested and also consider being moderator of this forum, I could change your permissions. It would definitely help, especially when I am on vacations and so...
Joe

1 - 20 of 53 Posts