Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucy's latest favorite game is chase me. As in, I'll run when you're trying to catch me and try to make you chase me. Normally I wouldn't care too much and just ignore her until she comes over on her own, but when she's got a small stone in her mouth and is chewing on it... it's a bit of a problem. :doh:

I was thinking that the best way to combat this is probably just to put a lead on her whenever she goes anywhere in order to reel her in when she manages to find one (from where, I have no idea!). But wanted to know if there were any other ways that you guys have managed this until you get come solidified?

My husband and my sanity thank you for your responses in advance!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I was just thinking about Lucy and when we would see more photos of her? I can't help you with the chase me issue as our puppy doesn't come home for 2 more weeks.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, Steph has been asking me the same question...

so ASAP ;)

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Just don't chase the puppy!! My Leif and Max have a game of that going. Max picks up things he knows matter to Leif and then will come up to him and bait him. Leif gets upset and grabs for the item. Max backs up just enough and then the chase is on. It's not a good game to play when you want to reinforce that you're the boss. :) Leif is soooooo not the boss!!

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
Oh my. Hudson is 19 months old. He STILL loves the chase game. He will get something he knows he shouldn't have and hunt me down just to show me so I will chase him:doh:. Good luck with this. I need some too:p:.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
This is one of Sophie's favorite games, and bad owners that we are, we encourage it. She will not always pick up stuff that is contraband... it could be a toy or a little piece of paper, and the game is on. We play chase around the kitchen island, and tell her "I'm gonna get you!". She's not a huge tail wagger, but that game gets her tail wagging each time.
Since she's been a puppy, she's asked for us to play that game with her, the cute factor always got in the way and we've always obliged lol.
She doesn't often do it with stuff she shouldn't have but I think it might be because we've allowed the game, and while we're playing it, we're telling her that she's going to "get got". Now if it's something that she shouldn't have, she knows we're not playing and we have a higher chance of getting the contraband.

I guess that

·
A.k.a. Jennifer.
230 Posts
With Jupiter, we started teaching him two commands from day one: 1. Leave it; and 2. Release. The first is used when we want him to leave something alone, and the second when we want him to drop whatever is in his mouth. We have never had to chase Jupiter because of these commands. When we do chase him, it is truly a game and it is only because he is playing with one of his toys & wants us to play with him. I hope this helps. You can find plenty of instruction on teaching these two commands in the training part of the forums.

·
est.1989
4,374 Posts
Oh no!

Warning DO NOT play this with her!!!!!! Tauri developed a bad habit of running away b/c my daughter started this when she was a youngster! I guess its ingrained!:doh: if she runs, look at the ground like you have found something and make a big fuss, she should come to investigate and then you can grab her! HOWEVER, if this becomes a constant habit I would not have her off a long line until she is solid on recalls. Always have treats and when she comes reward! No matter how annoyed your are ;) Good luck

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
another idea, and i know it sounds crazy, run AWAY from her. make the game about her chasing you. then, let her "catch" you and take the item.

having her chase you can also be a fun way to introduce the "come" command.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts