Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we lost our golden on Monday my house feels sooo empty. I think getting another puppy is going to be a sooner then later deal.
I have done some searching through the site and found a breeder that I was very excited about "Tanglewood" however availability for my time line may not work out (although I still have my fingers crossed).
There is a bunch of Charlotte info out there but the majority of it seems to be a few years old.
Does anyone have any ideas on where to get a healthy family dog from?
Our last dog was from Melodymakers in york SC. That dog was the man, I loved everything about him, but he developed a brain tumor and we had to put him down at 2.5 years of age.
I would love to get another one of Coopers brothers however I am scared. Is that unwarranted? Should a mom who ended up with a child that has a brain tumor not have another child? I can't figure weather I am being unreasonable or not, either way we want to look at breeders around the area to see what our options are.
Any suggestions would be a great help.
Thank you guys so much, this forum has been awesome in a very hard time in my life.
Eamonn

·
Kristy
9,681 Posts
I am in your area. I'm sorry for your loss of Cooper, it is very tragic at such a young age. I know there is at least one member of the Sandlapper Golden Retriever club who has a litter right now, not sure if they are all spoken for or not. Have you tried contacting them or the Atlanta Golden Retriever Club for puppy referrals?

Golden Retriever Puppies Available - Sandlapper Golden Retriever Club South Carolina North Carolina Tennessee Georgia

You may want to drive down, it would take you about one hour, this Saturday and come out to the Club event being held and meet some of the folks there. Could be a great way to meet people face to face and get info and referrals in person. I plan to be there, it's an easy drive.

EVENTS - Sandlapper Golden Retriever Club South Carolina North Carolina Tennessee Georgia

Here is the link for the Atlanta Club. http://atlantagoldens.org There are plenty of members who are only a few hours from Charlotte. As with any breeder you interview, be sure to ask for proof of all 4 health clearances (Heart, Hips, Eyes and Elbows). Very important. They are not guarantees, but they improve your odds of a healthy dog both mentally and physically. I wish you best of luck with your search.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife and I have been on the couch all night looking and sending emails. It's been a welcome distraction. Who knows if anything will work out but we at least feel like we are moving in the right direction and we are excited about that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bump- Hey guys, still looking for the right fit within our price point. If anyone one else has any ideas please let us know.

·
Kristy
9,681 Posts
You never mentioned a price point. What were you hoping for? I will be honest, you will be looking at around $1500. Especially if you're not wanting to travel etc. Have you had a chance to look over all the information on our 'choosing a breeder' stickies and information about health clearances etc? A reputable breeder who does health clearances and competes with their dogs has spent quite a bit of money up front on doing things right, there is also a need to have plenty set aside for emergency medical care in the not unheard of event that a c-section or some other lifesaving measure is needed for mom or also one of more of the puppies. My current puppy girl, Ellie, is from a litter that her breeder spent money running tests to get her pregnant, ended up having an emergency C section and life saving treatment for one of the puppies. Several thousand dollars of care. There were only 3 puppies in the litter. You can do the math.

The average hobby breeder (who you want to be dealing with) is not making money on these dogs and you will save in the long run if you end up with a healthy dog. Please consider spending a little more time saving up for the dog you will hopefully have for the next 10 or 12 years. I always think of it as an investment in a best friend. The joy I find with my dogs is worth far more to me than $10 or $20 a month over their lifetimes.

If you are not willing to spend more time saving up, please consider a Golden Retriever Rescue. There are a few in the Carolinas who will be able to help you. Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,899 Posts
Hockey930, for $2k both parents should have conformation titles and multiple performance titles. And maybe even be smart enough to cook your dinner. If not walk.....
LOVE IT!

Sorry couldn't resist, I know I'm a bit off topic.......

Best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am sorry about your golden, to me there is no better friend in the world. I myself have 5 goldens and they are my life. I don't show them, I don't have awards and ribbons, but I am a professional photographer, and they have been published in magazines and books, and are all over my walls at home. I am not a backyard breeder, or a breeder with a fancy website. My female has beautiful puppies, and they are loved and cherished from the minute they are born. I have heard everyone say that Golden range in price from 500.00 to 2,000.00. In my opinion if you are looking for a dog to show and win ribbons for you, you will pay more, if you are looking for a best friend there are a lot of people out there who have a litter so they can keep their own special line going. I lost my 10 year old golden 2 years ago from cancer, and I thank God everyday, I had 2 of her daughters and 1 granddaughter, otherwise I would have been lost. I have a beautiful litter now,
That was just born yesterday, and I am in heaven. I live in Navarre Florida and travel to north Carolina a lot, you can find good people who adore their dogs, that don't have a website. .

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I am sorry about your golden, to me there is no better friend in the world. I myself have 5 goldens and they are my life. I don't show them, I don't have awards and ribbons, but I am a professional photographer, and they have been published in magazines and books, and are all over my walls at home. I am not a backyard breeder, or a breeder with a fancy website. My female has beautiful puppies, and they are loved and cherished from the minute they are born. I have heard everyone say that Golden range in price from 500.00 to 2,000.00. In my opinion if you are looking for a dog to show and win ribbons for you, you will pay more, if you are looking for a best friend there are a lot of people out there who have a litter so they can keep their own special line going. I lost my 10 year old golden 2 years ago from cancer, and I thank God everyday, I had 2 of her daughters and 1 granddaughter, otherwise I would have been lost. I have a beautiful litter now,
That was just born yesterday, and I am in heaven. I live in Navarre Florida and travel to north Carolina a lot, you can find good people who adore their dogs, that don't have a website. .

And I hope this litter was from a dam & sire who are at least 2 yrs old and have clearances (hips, elbows, annual CERF & cardiologist cleared heart) verifiable on offa.org--otherwise unfortunately you are just another BYB who takes pretty pictures. Competition (conformation, obedience, agility, field) is more than just about ribbons its about helping a breeder evaluate each dog to the breed standard & whether or not it should be bred--it offers an independent eye & helps mitigate kennel blindness. Structure & temperament is more important than taking a pretty pic. Just because you can breed, doesn't mean you should.

·
Kristy
9,681 Posts
... I am not a backyard breeder, or a breeder with a fancy website. My female has beautiful puppies.... .

If you're not following the GRCA code of ethics in regard to proper, documented health clearances on all breeding dogs to ensure they are not passing on avoidable inherited health problems, not bred before age two and shown in some venue to prove correct conformation, trainability and temperament then you are a backyard breeder regardless of whether you have a fancy website or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is everyone so down on people? I have all my clearances for my dogs, for their health. My dogs are mine and old enough, and I can give as many references as you would like. I don't just take pretty photos, it has been my career for over 25 years.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Not being "down" on you, but you have not answered a very pertinent question: Do your dogs have the big four clearances--hip and elbows rated by OFA, heart cleared by a cardiologist, and eyes examined annually by a veterinary opthamologist? Saying "my" clearances is not the same as specifying that these have been done and showing the OFA links to establish such is the case.

Even if you are not showing your dogs or competing in some venue (agility, obedience, hunt tests) which prove the physical and mental characteristics which keep the Golden Retriever an Golden Retriever, this is the bare minimum that should be in place.

Reactions: CarolinaCasey

·
Kristy
9,681 Posts
Is everyone so down on people? .....

I don't understand why you feel everyone is down on people. This was a thread started by a new member who is looking for help with researching and finding a reputable breeder. You show up and mention that you have a litter of puppies, you don't mention health clearances until pressed and then you still don't provide links and you give the impression that you don't understand why the members here might be concerned. Instead you seem offended that you would be questioned. People who are interested in learning something new are always welcomed here with open arms.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts