Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Charlie caught a bird

762 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Alaska7133 
#1 ·
Last night, a younger bird got caught by Charlie and he was definitely toying with it. He was so proud of himself and I was feeling so bad for the bird. I got him to release it and pulled Charlie into the house. The bird must have been in shock for awhile because he just sat there. The other birds kept swooping anybody who ventured out in the backyard to protect him. He must have recovered, because he was gone about 15 minutes or so after I brought Charlie in. I took Charlie for a walk to distract him and the first thing he wanted to do was look for that bird in the backyard. I know it's in their nature, but I would have been heartbroken if he had actually killed that bird. And I know he would have if I hadn't pulled him into the house. He was just strutting like he was so proud...

#2 ·
Yes you have a bird dog. You should consider fieldwork. Since he was capable of catching and not killing the bird, it shows he has a lot of skill and has a soft mouth. He's also very quick. To avoid potential interactions with birds, I would not have anything to attract birds like feeders or water basins. Your pup will definitely catch more birds. He's very young and very birdy. If you decide to get into fieldwork, we have a nice section on this forum call Hunt and Field. There are lots of people over there willing to help you out.

#4 ·
You might want to visit a hunt test, field trial or working certificate test. To find ones in your area you can visit www.entryexpress.net You will have to register for the site to explore it. You can look up hunt tests and field trials for AKC and HRC clubs. NAHRA clubs will not be listed. To find local clubs, you might want to check with a member in your area: Hotel4dogs. She competes in different hunt test venues and can maybe give you some ideas of when and where they are. Watching an event will let you know a bit more about what is involved. Have fun with your new guy!

Reactions: jennretz
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.