Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we're new golden/puppy owners, we just started noticing 3-month-old Maggie's coat changing, starting with a darker stripe down the middle. Is this normal? We just brushed her really well this weekend... maybe that stimulated the changes? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I think it's normal. About a month ago is when I started seeing that darker fur down Murphy's back and now his big boy hair is coming in like crazy! It happened so fast, I almost miss his fluffy puppy fur.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Sounds normal to me! When Caleb was around 4 months or so, he had a funny patch of big boy fur between his shoulder blades that looked just like a bad toupee. :p:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yes that is normal. That's were the adult coat starts to come in first.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We referred to that as Hank's racing stripe. It's normal, your girl is getting her grown-up coat!

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Yep...I think its normal. Our Murphy's is doing the same thing, he is turning into a dog :-( Puppies don't stay around very long.

·
Registered
869 Posts
It is the dogs super cape! Our oldests was the most noticeable. Kuper is 5 months now & his wasn't as predominant, but he isn't as fluffy for now. It probably feels coarser also, more like an adult coat.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Just so you don't worry too much that coarse stripe down the back will soften up some when the undercoat starts to come in. I remember being in the same situation as you thinking I was going to have a wire haired golden. I can assure you that Oakly's coat is very soft now.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I swear Bauer's seemed to start on his back toward his tail. He is just over 15 weeks now and it's become more pronounced along his back and even on his tail now. Racing stripes! I like that, except he can only go so fast in deep snow.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Just so you don't worry too much that coarse stripe down the back will soften up some when the undercoat starts to come in. I remember being in the same situation as you thinking I was going to have a wire haired golden. I can assure you that Oakly's coat is very soft now.
Good to know, I'm always worried he won't be soft as an adult.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We referred to that as Hank's racing stripe.
Ha, that's what I first called it when I noticed it too. I was pretty sure it was normal... just the change from puppy fuzz to adult coat (especially since it is so symmetrical), but I didn't remember it being so apparent with my other pups (of different breeds). In this picture taken a few days ago (shown in GoPack's other thread), you can see this change beginning along the rear portion of her spine.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts