Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FurryMurray's Mom
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have been feeding my young adult rescue, Murray, PPP SSS for the past year, based on recommendations on this forum, and he's been doing great on it. I was able to buy 18lb bags for around $22 on Amazon or Chewy. Recently the formula has changed, the bags have gotten smaller, and the price has gone up. I just bought a 30lb bag for $42. The price increase per pound isn't bank-breaking, and I wouldn't be so disturbed about the price if I didn't feel that the formula has been cheapened at the same time. Just judging by the order of ingredients, it seems that there is maybe more plant protein and less salmon protein. How do you all feel about this? The kibbles are now smaller and the calories per cup are also higher in the new formula, so now I will have to cut back the servings a little bit, and will be getting more mournful looks from my "starving" dog, who is already a bit over his ideal weight. I love my boy, he had a rough start in life and I want to do the best for him. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, and the new formula will be just fine. It's just that he was doing so well on the old formula (better than when I tried him on Acana and Origen), and I hate it when manufacturers change a good thing. Here are formula comparisons and photos of the kibble size.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,880 Posts
I feed my boy PPP SSS, I have it on a monthly subscription plan through Amazon, get an additional 5% discount.

How much are you feeding Murray?

My boy is 7, he gets 1 cup at breakfast, 1 cup at dinner, he weighs 72 lbs.

·
FurryMurray's Mom
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello! Murray is 67 pounds, but should probably lose about 5 pounds. I had been feeding him about 1.5 cups of PPP SSS in the morning and 1.5 cups in the evening, but I've been trying to whittle back to just one cup at each feeding. He just gets sooooo hungry, and I'm a sucker for the big brown eyes and "feed me, mama!" whimpering, which he starts up about 30 minutes before mealtime. ? I just bought him a small bag of Origen Adult (the new formula, made in Kentucky), to see how he does on that. It is poultry-based but he hasn't previously shown an allergic reaction to any other chicken-based treats, and I feel better about the higher amount of animal protein ingredients in the Origen as compared to the PPP. I will probably try some of the new Acana formulas.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
I think that we focus too much on the ingredient list, and not enough of bioavailability- you might all PPP and ask them the % availability- it should be over 90% imo. Sometimes we see protein source is not direct parts of animals but instead is rendered- which should give you a greater % protein than a particular part.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Purina spends a lot of money on research and feeding trials, so it would probably be disappointing if they didn't change the ingredients from time to time based on what their research shows is best tolerated.

Also note that the "new formula" includes salmon meal as additional ingredient. There is no practical difference between salmon and salmon meal -- "meal" just means the moisture was removed before being used as an ingredient.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was doing a research on sensitive stomach on the forum and came up across this thread. I did not realize they had changed the formula! Our GR has been on Pro Plan for most of her life. We recently bought the "new ingredients" pro plan and she has shown issues with digestion. I am now in the market for new dry food, unfortunately, and I know its going to be a long battle -- last time around it took her quite a few tries before she settled on pro plan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts