Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got a 3 year old retriever, she stays in the house during the day, at a comfortable temperature of around 20C, but she sleeps in the conservatory, which at the moment, because of the snow and frost is probably around 0C. In the past we've normally brought her in to the main part of the house at this kind of time and temperature, but despite the cold temperatures I thought she should sleep in there the whole year round. We've kept her in the conservatory this far, and she seems healthy, but do you think it's wise to keep her in there now? Also, the change in temperature is quite large, 20C, so could that cause her to moult more?

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
just my opinion...
0 degrees Celsius (32 degrees F) is a bit too cold....

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
moulting (aka shedding) is more closely related to the amount of daylight then temperature...

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Is there a reason you wanted her to sleep separate from "her humans"? Many Goldens like to be near their owners at night (ours goes to sleep in our bedroom but then may move elsewhere during the night, and then comes back to our room in the morning)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we keep her in the conservatory at night because it's not near our bedrooms, what all of the vets i have asked have advised. Although i think we are going to move her into the main house just until the temperature improves a bit

·
Mulligan
516 Posts
There must be more to the reason for her to be sleeping away from you. You indicated all the vets have advised you of this. Why??

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Something isn't adding up... perhaps I'm confused. Could you elaborate?

So, the dog stays in the house during the day- why not at night too? Evening is the coldest time, it doesn't seem to make much sense to put her out then. Is she destructive while you're asleep? Does she have accidents?

·
Premium Member
18,608 Posts
I think it's too cold to put her out there at night, but even more so I think she should just be in the house with you in general.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I don't know if it's dangerous for her to be out there, but it certainly sounds uncomfortable. I can understand if you choose not to have your dog sleep in your bedroom. My dog doesn't sleep in my bedroom either. He has a warm bed in the kitchen. At night, my kitchen is probably between 55 and 60 degrees.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
we keep her in the conservatory at night because it's not near our bedrooms, what all of the vets i have asked have advised. Although i think we are going to move her into the main house just until the temperature improves a bit

Going on your vocab and spelling I'm assuming you don't reside in the US and wow, what a different attitude you have than my attitude. My dog sleeps in the bedroom with me. My vet would never advise to have my dog sleep far away from the bedroom or keep apart from the family - especially being a golden. From a US perspective, make up a bed on the floor in your bedroom for a dog and keep him/her in whatever rooms you are in when you are home. I mean, you did get a golden so no matter where you live, you shouldn't be keeping the dog away from it's people.

·
16,000 Posts
It is purely a personal choice whether a person wishes to have their pets sleep with them or not. And many dogs find it too warm in their owners bedrooms. Mine who are in the house start out on the floor of the bedroom and then move to either the wood floor or tile floor, on their own, even in the winter. They are more comfortable.
As long as the dog has a bed or crate and is comfortable, it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Until this year all of my dogs slept in crates. Now I have two that are allowed in the bedroom with me. Another is allowed to sleep in the living room, but is not allowed in my bedroom. The fourth sleeps in a seperate room in a crate. Very occasionally I have let one sleep outside if they seemed to want to.

I couldn't let my dogs sleep outside in freezing weather though.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
There's nothing better than a dog comforter on a cold winter's night. Mine will switch off with one another (like a changing of the guard) during the night except on the coldest nights, then both snuggle with us.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Well, I live in Florida where it is hot all the time (granted I keep it about 68-70 all summer, and if it is below 60 out, I just open the windows), and the only way ANY of my dogs doesn't sleep in the bed with me is if I command them to get down or lock them in crates. I haven't yet had or fostered a dog who'd rather be on the other end of the house on a porch (conservatory?) than in the room with me.

·
16,000 Posts
Like I said, it is personal preference.
I will also presume that my dogs carry a lot more coat than yours, and do get too warm. Dave slept on the bed almost all the time, unless it was really hot, being a Pointer he had no coat. They do what makes them most comfortable. I'm not going to command them to stay or go.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I don't command mine to stay either. I just meant they wouldn't stay off the bed unless I told them too :)

I can imagine a pointer being very snuggly, like my Whippet is. They're great dogs. Did you get another one yet?

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Like I said, it is personal preference.
I will also presume that my dogs carry a lot more coat than yours, and do get too warm. Dave slept on the bed almost all the time, unless it was really hot, being a Pointer he had no coat. They do what makes them most comfortable. I'm not going to command them to stay or go.
I let the dogs choose where they want to sleep - in general Teller runs hot and Murphy is heat-seeking. Murph will find the most comfy bed and likes to be covered with a blanket in the winter - our bedroom is around 55 degrees (you cover him and he won't move all night). Teller doesn't like to sleep on beds or on the rugs - he's generally found sprawled out on the tile floor in the guest bathroom (it's a bit drafty in there). If I covered Teller (or forced him to sleep on a dog-bed) he'd be pretty miserable.

Erica

1 - 19 of 19 Posts