Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
School started yesterday. I felt aweful for our 5 month old pup - having to put him in his crate when I left for work. My teens were tending to him all summer long because we got him right when school ended just when summer started. I leave in the morning at 8:45am. My husband came home for lunch and tended to Ryder for 45 minutes in the afternoon. The kids got home at 3 and I got home at 3:45. This will be our typical Monday - Friday schedule and it probably doesn't sound like a long time of having him confined but I feel bad especially since he's had freedom all summer.

Any thoughts?

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I'm more then sure your pup will be just fine in the crate while your gone. I'd myself, prefer the crate rather then letting them roam free at this age. They get into way too much trouble even when we are watching them.lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm dealing with the same puppy guilt. We got Obi the day after school got out, so everyone was home with him all summer. Now that school is back in session, and I'm back to work (I'm a lunch lady at a local elementary school), I have to crate him while I'm gone. I hate it.

I try to walk him or play fetch with him in the morning before I have to leave, so he'll be tuckered out and sleep. The last 2 days I've had lots to do in the afternoon, so he's spent quite a bit of time in his crate during the day. Our evenings are spent trying to burn off some of his pent up puppy energy.

I think our guilt is worse than what our puppies are going through.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
That sounds like a great schedule to me. Your pup is having it good compared to many. Just be sure to get in the puppy exercise as much as you can and double up on the weekends. I promise you and your pup will be fine.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

You're right, our guilt is worse than what the pups are going thru.

I bought some new tennis shoes to start a walking routine with Ryder in the mornings.

At the beginning of summer when we got him, I never knew I'd fall this hard for this darn dog!!! :doh: :D :uhoh: :bowl:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.