Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 week old golden does not really seem to enjoy his food. The breeder had him on "Canidae" lamb & rice. He only eats 1/3 cup at a feeding,if I'am lucky. I tried slicing a couple of small liver treats in with his food and he devours it. I have noticed some people on the forum have had good luck with "Fromm" foods. My local mom and pop pet store with great experiance, told me that "Natural Balance" foods were also very good and easier to find. They also stock "Fromm" and several other high end foods. I have two stores not to far away that stock "Fromm Food" but I know I will never find it by my summer home in the mountians. Any Food thoughts??

·
16,000 Posts
He's training you to feed him something else. I'd do the 15 Minute Rule with him, so as no to create a "picky" eater - put his food (and only his food) down and if he hasn't eaten it w/i 15 minutes, take it up til the next feeding. Repeat this. He will not starve himself, but WILL learn to eat what is given to him, when it is given to him. This is better for him on many levels in the long run.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
If the Canidae is working well for him digestive-wise (no runny poops, etc) I'd hesitate to change him to something else just because he's being picky. I do suggest what PG said and pick up his food after 10 mins or so, and then give it back at the next meal time. The only reason I'd attempt to not change the food is a different food may upset his stomach and then you'll have worse problems than a picky eater.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
You might try a little sample of the Natural balance or Fromm (i like the natural balance between the two) and see if he likes it and has no issues. Mix alittle in with his regular food slowly. Since he is a puppy their little stomachs can be very sensitive. With him being a small puppy I would worry he isnt getting enough nutrients if he isnt eating as much.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Chloe was a very picky eater when we first got her, I actually had to hand feed her just to get some food into her. It changed when she realized that the food was not gonna change. Now for the last month or so she is eating like a pig and it's still the same food.

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
Can I ask if it's normal and healthy to switch, either flavors or even BRANDS, once or twice during a dogs lifetime? Or is it better for the pup to stay with the same established brand for its entire lifetime? I know dogs do not have anywhere near the amount of tastebuds as we as humans do and they can only taste like 3 or 4 different tastes in general but I was curious if a dog needs to have a "taste" change when it comes to food every few years? Maybe switch between two established brands after a few years and keep only to those two brands? It seems to run along the same line as this thread which is what spurred the question.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
No, it is healthy and often recommended for dogs to switch brands of foods! By switching foods you get a different set of nutrients that one company may have put in their foods but another company did not. Now I said it is healthy and VERY normal, but if your dog has digestion or allergy issues you may stick with one food the dogs entire life. However, if there are no issues I would definitely recommend it! It is good for the dogs to get different protein and carb sources. Beef and barley for awhile then salmon and brown rice for ex.

Often most dog food companies will provide different varieties. One such company is Nature's Variety and they offer beef, salmon, chicken, lamb, and veal each with their own grain souce. There are MANY companies that do this so it is best to look around and see what works or doesn't work for your dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts