Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finn is five months old, and I haven't seen him in almost three weeks. My husband and I have been in Florida spending time with family, it was his Christmas leave from the army. Since Finn wasn't old enough to complete his shots so he can travel from and back to Hawaii yet we had to leave him behind for vacation, so a good friend of ours has been staying at our house taking care of him.

By the time I return on January 8 it will have been three and a half weeks. I'm terrified he's forgotten me. I'm his primary caretaker, I'm home with him the majority of the day and I almost always feed him. He loves my husband but I'm definitely his favorite parent, I'm the one he follows from room to room and he's always cuddling on me. I'm hoping I'm just freaking myself out, but is it possible he could have forgotten me already? I mean he's still a baby, we've had three months together but idk if that's enough time so that I've made a lasting impression. Thoughts/comfort?

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Dogs use their nose and the nose has the best memory of all. He remembers you! I remember the reunions of our family dogs with my brothers when they came home from college. The were over the TOP. MissMarStar also posted a video of her husband coming home after a tour in the navy. Very touching. Her pups went wild seeing their dad come home.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm considering buying a new toy to bring home to him so that in the off chance he has forgotten me, I make a good "first impression" lol.. Any dog trainers wanna tell me how I could potentially screw him up by doing this, or is this a pretty harmless way to calm myself?

·
gone
1,443 Posts
My sister used to come home once a year from school for xmas holidays. One time she surprised us and came home on a bus in the middle of summer, our poodle was looking out the window with us as we were wondering why a bus was stopping in front of our house. She stepped off the bus and the dog went nuts, he knew before we did who it was. Now, you have to know, this dog reacted totally different with family members and strangers, his reaction was a 'family' reaction. We were amazed and obviously there was no nose at work here, just sight and recognition. No, he didn't know her as well as he knew us since he only saw her once a year for perhaps a 1 month stretch.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
When I went to NY for two weeks, Max stayed with my best friend, who is his "other mother." When I got home, he did what I call his "happy dance," he was all over me like a duck on a june bug. Don't worry, your baby will remember you!

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Don't worry

He'll remember you AGoldens love never goes away or let's them forget. Capt Jack does sometimes get mad at me when I'm away awhile & at first he'll act like he wants to ignore me, but within a few seconds he gives in to his Love side & does what we call the Jack attack (running around the yard in circles at top speed. Tell your husband Thank you from the Curles family for his service

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I left Flora with my parents for 3 months while I was traveling a lot for grad school. My mom said that she slept a lot by the garage door during that time, which was the door I had left through on my last day at home. When I was reunited with Flora I can promise you that she knew exactly who I was. Don't worry, your pup will be so happy to see you again. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Everyone is right. I once had to be away from my goldens for almost 4 months. Caesar was about 3 and Jenni was a year old. When we saw each other it was the most incredible feeling for all three of us. You will be in heaven...

Pat

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
No, he definitely won't forget you!

You should see some of my previous foster puppies, even ones I haven't seen in a year or more when I go to see them. They revert right back into puppies squirming and trying to climb into my lap and squeal and sometimes pee in delight. LOL

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
NO WAY he'll forget you! My dog Mia was a family dog so when I left home and moved across the country she stayed with my folks... When I came home for Xmas 2010 (8 mos later) she LOST. HER. MIND. when she realized it was me! It's the best feeling and you'll feel it too :)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Not going to say anything, just watch the video...I'm sure everyone here has seen it, but it proves a very good point.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
My Sally came to me at 6 months from her breeder. She never forgot her and remembered her until she died at 12.5 years. This was with once yearly refreshers!! My pups that I bred who leave at 8 weeks, still remember me!!!!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
oh, boy...I was gone for 2 weeks, DH picked me up at airport. Got in car & my lab intentionally turned away from me..no eye contact. broke my heart, but he was teaching me a lesson. As soon as he figured I'd "suffered enough" we had a great reunion & he was so happy to let go of the "I don't care" act. We had a cat that would do same thing when work woud send DH away for a few days. Both lab & cat were unique individuals.

·
Registered
788 Posts
He is going to lose it when he sees you... and in a very good way. When I was a kid we got our spaniel from someone my mom use to babysit for, he would come once a year to see her(she also went blind and couldnt see at all) and as soon as he was at the door she some how knew and went nuts.

P.S. love the video

1 - 18 of 18 Posts