Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking him to the vet on Tuesday, (next day off), to make sure that's what it is, but I'm 99.9% sure that's what we're dealing with.

I have a feeling that his vet will want to drain it and possibly do surgery, but I've been doing some research and some vets will now just take a wait and see approach. I'm torn and was just wondering if any of you have just let it go and see if it goes down on it's own.

It's small and squishy not hard at all. Maybe 1 1/2" long by 3/4" wide. Ear is not warm and it doesn't seem to bother him when I touch it. His ear is clean and there's no smell at all.

Opinions?

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one has dealt with a hematoma? I find that difficult to believe. :(

At times like this, it makes me feel that this board is kind of cliquey. I can almost guarantee that if certain members had posted an identical thread, it definitely wouldn't have been ignored. I find that kind of sad. I know that a hematoma is not life threatening, but I'm still very worried. Especially if he needs surgery.

Oh, well...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hi there - I haven't dealt with this before, but wanted to send positive thoughts your way. It's always stressful when we think there is something but are not 100% sure of what it is. I hope your vet has some answers and you don't have to 'wait and see' too long - that's the WORST!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I have experience with ear hematomas -- two ears, multiple times. I consider myself a veteran LOL. I laugh because, in hindsight, these were the simple issues. Not pleasant at the time, but compared to what Daisy is going through now, they were simple because they were temporary and treatable. Except for the discomfort at the time, they didn't affect her quality of life, or end her life.

Her first ear hematoma we treated by draining and then using a canula (a tube inserted that helped the fluid continue to drain). This was effective initially but the hematoma returned and her ear became crunchy from scar tissue -- not visible by just looking though.

Her second ear, the hematoma was quite large and involved almost her entire ear. I chose ear quilting for this one, where they drain the hematoma and then stitch the ear like quilting, front to back. The stitching prevents the ear from filling with fluid again. 100% effective but the healing process was difficult. She had to wear the cone continuously for several weeks during healing, very rough time.

She did develop another hematoma in the quilted ear later on, but it was above where they did the quilting so it was small. I left it alone and it healed naturally. That ear is a little crunchy now too :)

I've heard of people who don't treat the hematomas, even large ones, and they do eventually heal on their own. They're not painful except to the touch or if they hit something with the ear.

I have some pictures on here of the quilting process, somewhere. I'll try to find them.

If you choose not to treat it surgically, you can find head wraps on line, they're called snoods. They help to keep the ear still so the hematoma, hopefully, doesn't grow. Daisy hated her snood, but we did use it.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Our old Sydney had one on each ear, years apart. Both had the quilted surgery, the last being when she was quite old. She recovered well and never had an issue with it further. I know our vet with the last one was concerned about anesthesia at her age but more concerned about the enormity of the hematoma.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
My Paxton had to have surgery on his hematoma, he faired well with it. My grandpuppy Oliver the vet just said wait and see what happens since my daughters funds are limited and it went down on it's own and his ear looks fine.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First, I wanted to say sorry to everyone about the clique comment I made. Totally uncalled for. :(

Anyway, thanks to those that replied, I really appreciate it. I'm happy to say that I took a wait and see approach and Chance's hematoma is going down on it's own. It got really hard and somewhat bigger several days ago and I almost took him in. But...I told myself to wait one more day, (he wasn't shaking his head or scratching at it at all), and if it wasn't any better, I'd definitely take him in.

Well, I checked it the next day and it was totally soft and a lot smaller. Since then, it's gone down even more and his ear looks fine. I know that if it looked like it was hurting him, I would have taken him in, but for this time, I'm glad I waited.

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
First, I wanted to say sorry to everyone about the clique comment I made. Totally uncalled for. :(

Anyway, thanks to those that replied, I really appreciate it. I'm happy to say that I took a wait and see approach and Chance's hematoma is going down on it's own. It got really hard and somewhat bigger several days ago and I almost took him in. But...I told myself to wait one more day, (he wasn't shaking his head or scratching at it at all), and if it wasn't any better, I'd definitely take him in.

Well, I checked it the next day and it was totally soft and a lot smaller. Since then, it's gone down even more and his ear looks fine. I know that if it looked like it was hurting him, I would have taken him in, but for this time, I'm glad I waited.
That's great news!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
MercyMom, an ear hematoma is not a tumor. It's where the skin of the front and back ear flap separate causing blood and fluid to pool in the separated space. The surgical procedure of quilting sews the space closed so fluid can't fill it. Draining the fluid sometimes helps. With natural healing, letting the fluid reabsorb, there will be scar tissue and this also helps to prevent fluid from building up in the space.

Glad you're having an easier time with this Kwhit. Ear hematomas are not fun

·
Registered
404 Posts
When we got Max and had my vet check him out he mentioned that he must of had hematomas on his ears...actually his ears are a bit crunchy like some members had said.....I forgot to ask him what that meant. What causes a hematoma on the ear?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts