Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We would very much appreciate information on what chain link fence height
you recommend for your golden retriever. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I have a 4 foot chain link fence. It works well but I don't leave him out unsupervised. I dont think Rukie has ever even thought of jumping over. My son's Golden knows how to flip the gate latch so we have to keep a lock on it when he visits.

·
Registered
463 Posts
4 ft is pretty much standard unless you are looking for privacy where you can insert slats. Also, many towns require permits for taller fences. We have a pool so the law requires it. Amber doesn't seem to mind.

20180716_190605-1209x1612.jpg

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,864 Posts
Good point about checking for a permit.
Also, if you live in area that has an HOA, check with them before installing a fence.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have a 6 foot fence. When we put it up, I had a GSD that I did agility with. Since I had taught her how to jump, I felt it was necessary to keep her safe. The fence has been there for over 20 years and we just bought slats because a crazy person lives across the street. We thought he was screaming at our dogs but it turns out he was screaming at his wife. He screams profanities at her to come home right now whenever she goes somewhere! We are going ahead with the slats because out of sight, out of mind.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a 4 foot that was put up when we got our Beagle. I'm in Mn. and one winter we had quite a bit of snow. My Golden could very well have gotten out. Thankfully she never did but my neighbors had a visiting dog who jumped into our yard. If I were putting up a new fence I would do at least 5 and mostly likely 6.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
A 6' CLfence is odd looking to my eye- 5' is adequate and you can reach over a 5' while a 6' is too high to reach over.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
We had a wood (Cedar) fence installed in 97. It's 6 feet tall. It's about at its end of life. We've never had any problem with any of our Goldens going over it.
However, our boy is capable of getting over a 6' fence. He did it when he was younger. I would replace our fence with 8' if our local city code allowed it.

We are always outside with the dogs (never left alone) so it is not a big concern for me at this point.

Personally for the safety of the dogs, I think 4' is too short.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I have 4ft for the chainlink and 6 ft for the wooden privacy fences. If I ever replace the chainlink, I would go with at least 5ft, if not 6 ft. We have never had a fence jumper/climber so far but with the 4ft sections they could have if they wanted to.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Assuming you are allowed to have a fence at any height...Most all Golden's can easily clear a 4' or 5' fence! Many can clear a 6' fence easily. If you want to leave the pup alone in the yard I would go with an 8' fence. If you are not leaving the dog alone in the yard, a 6' fence would be ok...

Many Golden's can be easily trained to stay in your yard, provided you are in sight and voice control. With that training at 100% a 4' foot fence would be ok...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Another thing to consider is what can get in. While I know most wild animals CAN get over a 6 foot fence, it’s less likely. I live at the edge of the city limits with a turf farm at the end of the street. Yeah, people farm grass! Anyway, we have coyotes, deer, raccoons, opossums, and rabbits. The only ones that get into the yard are rabbits. We also don’t have to worry as much about people going over the fence.

·
Super Moderator
1,155 Posts
Another thing to consider is what can get in. While I know most wild animals CAN get over a 6 foot fence, it’s less likely. I live at the edge of the city limits with a turf farm at the end of the street. Yeah, people farm grass! Anyway, we have coyotes, deer, raccoons, opossums, and rabbits. The only ones that get into the yard are rabbits. We also don’t have to worry as much about people going over the fence.
Deer, raccoons and possums all can get over a six foot fence. Raccoons and opossums will climb it, deer can jump over 8 if they want too. They just choose not too.

·
Super Moderator
1,155 Posts
We have a small garden fence to keep Molly from going through the bushes. It is maybe 18" tall and she doesn't even jump that. She has no desire to go over a fence. Other dogs may be different

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Deer, raccoons and possums all can get over a six foot fence. Raccoons and opossums will climb it, deer can jump over 8 if they want too. They just choose not too.
I’m aware that they can. The ones in my neighborhood choose not to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm putting up a 4' chain link
We have a 5ft chain link. 6ft not allowed in my area, or it would've been 6ft. My one golden can jump higher than 5ft if he's got reason to do it. He also climbs ladders. I'd rather not have any foxes, coyotes, & bears in our yard, not that a bear won't climb it, & destroy it.( My neighbor had a chain fence section just smashed down by a huge bear!)
I wouldn't have a 4 ft...

·
Super Moderator
1,155 Posts
We have a 5ft chain link. 6ft not allowed in my area, or it would've been 6ft. My one golden can jump higher than 5ft if he's got reason to do it. He also climbs ladders. I'd rather not have any foxes, coyotes, & bears in our yard, not that a bear won't climb it, & destroy it.( My neighbor had a chain fence section just smashed down by a huge bear!)
I wouldn't have a 4 ft...
I don't have bears, in our area and fox and coyotes won't come if I'm out.
I don't leave my dog out unattended. She won't even jump over a garden fence of 12-18 inches. So I'm not concerned.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts