Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi everyone,

New poster here. I've been slowly looking for a new puppy for our family (post passing of our long time pup) and was hoping to have our new pup before the holiday season. As it turns out, as a first time buyer, the process has been stressful, difficult, and quite frustrating haha. It seems that every seemingly reputable breeder with available litters have had a wait list for months, or does not have any planned litters for the time being. Timing isn't the key factor, but I was hoping to at least have an idea of when we could be bringing in our new pup!

Now, after some searching, I ended stumbled across Chadwick's Goldens close to my area. I've been a lurker for some time, and saw that they had some less than stellar reviews here by some users, although they were from 2012 and earlier. They had just recently had a litter of "English Cream" Goldens (personal preference for myself as well) and the litter was at 7 weeks old, meaning we could potentially bring a pup home by the end of this month! Here are the listed parents below:

Farley Farley - Chadwick's Goldens

Sasha Sasha - Chadwick's Goldens

Now, wary of the reviews, I wanted to get more experienced buyer's thoughts. The main concerns I have would be that Sasha is not yet 2 years old, and that both are carriers of Ichthyosis (not sure about this one) The rest of the certificates for heart, eye, elbow, and hip look okay, but again, another set of more experienced eyes will be helpful.

I have not directly spoken in depth with the owners yet, just want to see if it is worth my time to go through with the process of speaking, and eventually meeting them and the pups.

Also! Price is not a factor - I am just looking for the best chance of a healthy golden :)

Hope this info is enough. I appreciate any feedback of those who have consulted with Chadwick's before, or anyone that can tell me if these breeders are legitimate.

Thanks!

EDIT: IF this post violates any rules, feel free to message me and I can edit it/take it down.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I understand price is not an issue. With that said, value might be. This price tag of $3000 is astronomical when compared to how little value you're receiving. At that price point you should expect full and easily verifiable certifications and some sort of competition achievement.

The health certifications are simply not their. The dad has a deficient heart certification, it should have been done by a Cardiologist not just your normal pet vet practitioner which OFA themselves is phasing out. He is also missing his Elbow Certification. That document they have posted is an absolute joke. Prelims are done through OFA. So this is just his pet vet saying they look good but even OFA will not certify until 2 years and 3 independent experts evaluate.

The mom is under age and in the US she should get her certifications at the age of 2. No verifiable heart or eye certifications.

This is not the health nor the quality you should expect for that price. That are asking top dollar.

I just got a girl from Italy myself and her cost plus the plane to go get her is probably the same cost as these puppies. Her parents had full certifications for the country she was born in and both parents were proven in a competitive ring. That is why I am always puzzled that dogs who's only or main claim is being produced by imported dogs cost so much.

Breeders like this seem to be in it for the money and not for health. Nothing like getting $1000-2000 more for puppies just because there is a market for pale dogs.

I have attached a health infographic I hope you find helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the reply.

I did not know the differences in the quality of the certification posted so I appreciate you clarifying those for me. Cheers.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Good for you for doing your homework.
You'll find something = and really, with airplanes and cheap flights, you can look anywhere in the country and not limit yourself.
FWIW I too would not recommend this breeding. The clearances just are not there, so the puppies should be priced at about 25% of what they are priced. Color is just cosmetic.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Agreed. I would pass as well. English type goldens have become very trendy recently, and there are a lot of people who are taking advantage of this and charging $$$$$ for a substandard product. I say product, because most aren't ultimately concerned with the overall health and wellfare of their dogs, or the breed in general. Furthermore, you have to be careful about dogs who have been brought over from Europe to be established in breeding programs here in the US. You don't know what you are getting. A reputable breeder is careful about the dogs they release for further breeding.

As stated before, the clearances are not there. Bitches shouldn't be bred until they are 2 years old and have their full certifications, and also because its not necessarily healthy to breed a still-developing dog. None of these dogs have been shown competitively here in the United States, and so they aren't proven in any environment (conformation, agility, obedience). You want a healthy dog with excellent temperament. Furthermore, 15 dogs is a LOT to be breeding at once. That screams commercial breeding at best, and puppy mill at worst.

Also, its wrong that the site advertises some of the dogs as having a "pure white coat." There is no such thing as a white golden retriever. This is a marketing ploy, because light goldens have become very trendy in recent years. Any breeder who advertises "white coats," or light goldens being "rare," healthier, less cancer risk, or calmer/milder/nicer temperament is to be viewed with suspicion.

I have a dog who is from European lines, with a light golden (what many people call cream) coat. There is nothing wrong with going for that particular aesthetic. But you have to vet breeders carefully, even more than you would an American golden retriever. You may have to travel further, or wait longer to get the puppy you want. Ultimately though, in the end, if you do your homework you will end up with a puppy that has the best chance of being healthy and a good fit for your home.

This website give a lot of information about English Goldens, how they are different from American Goldens, and reputable breeders, and may assist you in your search. English Goldens in North America - Breeders

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good for you for doing your homework.
You'll find something = and really, with airplanes and cheap flights, you can look anywhere in the country and not limit yourself.
FWIW I too would not recommend this breeding. The clearances just are not there, so the puppies should be priced at about 25% of what they are priced. Color is just cosmetic.
Hello, has anyone heard has this breeder cleaned up their certifications? I see they have very positive reviews on google.

cheers

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Hello, has anyone heard has this breeder cleaned up their certifications? I see they have very positive reviews on google.

cheers
Their website shows a Simba x Bella and Simba x Lacey litters

Simba - eyes are out of date and heart is deficient (practitoner only, not by a cardiologist)
Pedigree: Marcus Sanitacteam Day (k9data.com)
Advanced Search | Orthopedic Foundation for Animals | Columbia, MO (ofa.org)

Lacy has a page on their website but the K9data page is for a different dog. Has no hips (red flag), eyes are out of date, and heart is deficient.

Bella - no eyes and heart is deficient.
Pedigree: Chadwick's Fancy Bella of Olaf (k9data.com)

The eyes might have been done and not sent in. If they were valid before the pandemic hit, the GRCA is allowing leniency in getting re-certified given the closures COVID has caused, but Bella has never had her eyes done on record so I would want to get more info on that from them. They want $4000+ for a puppy and they aren't meeting the minimum requirements as set by the GRCA

·
Registered
200 Posts
Before we found our puppy, I was looking on their website as well. I think they along with other backyard/commercial breeders pay a lot for certain keyword hits to have their name appear on top of Google. Then I found this forum and did so much more research on reputable breeders who are breeding beautiful dogs with the best temperament from titled conformation dogs and get this: for the same or less money than these guys, and for better and healthier puppies!

I know that the wait will be longer but if you do a search on here for like SoCal recommended breeders or something like that, there's a great list for you to get started and I remember someone even taking that list and turning it into a Google sheet that you can see who's highly recommended (follows all health protocols, etc) and who to shy away from.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thank you so much! If you were able to find that list that would be great! And thanks everyone for the advice!
There are quite a few threads about California breeders. I think if you search "California breeders" or "California breeder recommendations" in some permutation thereof, you'll find a lot of very useful threads of people's analysis and prior experiences.

This is the Google sheet that I was referring to: SoCal Golden Breeders. I think some kind soul looked at all the threads and just did this as a composite. This is by no means all of the reputable breeders in the state, but will be a great starting point for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts