Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with this breeder? Though not on the site, they have the clearances for the dad (Cardiac, hip, elbow and cerf) and mom is ARIANA'S SANDY JASMINE has her hips and cardiac clearance. The breeder says that cerf clearances have been sent to OFA and can show the proof.

Any experiences that can be shared will be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Mom doesn't have "elbows" listed--what's the status on that clearance? With her mom & dad having clear elbows, I'm a bit puzzled as to why they were not accomplished for her. With "fair" hips, who is the sire?

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Sire only has practitioner heart clearance, between that & missing elbows I'd pass.

Not seeing the justification for a $1K price tag (per the breeder's listed on puppyfind.com) and that's on one of the litters where mom doesn't have hip/elbow/eye clearance listed on offa.

The pics of the other dogs on the breeder's website also give me pause, the timid facial expressions & sloped backs just don't say "I'm a great representation of the breed."

Did the breeder offer insight into the pairing, what she hoped to accomplish with this litter? Does she title her dogs? How are the pups raised, from the website, looks like the pups are raised in a kennel setting (not saying it's wrong, just not my personal preference).

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I am still learning about clearances myself, but I would also pass on this one.
The sire had heart done only by a practitioner, the dam only had hips and heart done. No, I would pass.

Also: Not all clearances done on some of the dogs listed on the website and looks to me like the eye Cerf on some of the dogs has only been done in 2009 and not since. The only female listed online with OFA records had only hip clearance done. Also, heart clearance by practitioners only for the males.

If this is what this breeder is all about, no thank you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We got our girl from this breeder and after looking at K9 data years later, our girl was the product of first cousins. Not the best, not the worst... but I felt that it was a little sloppy. And their records from 2003 are very sporadic and certs were missing. Maybe they were just getting started? They were very nice people, but now that I've been dealing with well-known breeders with lots of connections in the GR show world and GR online community (the breeders I now talk to show up on forums positively again and again), I feel that I wouldn't choose them again. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our experience with Chadwick's Golden Retrievers: Our male (Charlie) was born January 21, 2015, liter number SR86109101, sire “Olaf” and dame “Chloe.” On February 9, 2016 Charlie had bilateral elbow surgery for severe dysplasia. Unfortunately the surgery was of no help. He also suffers from hip dysplasia. When I advised Chadwick’s we didn’t even receive a token of sympathy.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I’ll be honest, I would not breed to this boy if it was free.

This stud’s Production record is frightening. He is missing the appropriate heart certification by a cardiologist and has m produced at least one puppy with an equivocal heart exam meaning they could not certify it normal.

His pennHIP scores put him in the mild risk category. Though Goldens with scores .55 of better could be considered for breeding, his production record is again troubling. In addition to the poster above, this dog has also produced another dysplastic puppy. Those puppies that have been PennHIP tested are showing their hips numbers are not as good as his hips were. This means he is not passing along hip improvement but instead seems to produce worse hips then His own.

He has also produced an elbow Dysplasia dog as well.

He does not have the complete health certifications that he should and his poor production record is one that I would not feel comfortable using myself.

·
Kristy
10,201 Posts
Just one question, at what age was Charly neutered? We are looking at buying a pup that comes from Olaf and a female from a different breeder.
You can do better. I would keep looking for a puppy bred from dogs with a history of proper clearances from both the parents as well as multiple generations. LJack made some great points. If you aren't familiar with the clearances required by the Golden Retriever Club of America and the breeder's code of ethics, I hope you will spend some time reading up on them, it will help you avoid being taken advantage of by an unethical breeder. Regardless of what age Charly was neutered, Olaf appears to be passing on problems to his puppies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts