Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm excited that Tally finished his title today, and a little apprehensive about trying for our first Open leg tomorrow. I am very glad, though, to have practiced so much at different levels before stepping into the ring for real, because I get so nervous. Thanks to my trustworthy partner Tally for being so focused all the time.

There was a gorgeous golden at the show- Twin Beau D's I'm Your Andy Man- beauty & brains, for sure

·
Registered
537 Posts
New titles are great

Tally stays focused because of the work you have done as a team in training. Attention is the key in the obedience ring. Give yourself some credit for developing that and a relationship with your partner. I was nervous in the ring too. The good news, open is way more fun than novice. Good luck in open.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Congratulations! Do we get to see pictures?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
HOORAY, JILL AND TALLY!!!! Bogey is sending you sloppy kisses!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Great job Jill and Tally! Whoooo hooo!
Open is sooo much more fun than Novice! Good luck today.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whoops- overslept! Not sure we'll make it to New Hampshire in time for our Open class. Thanks for the congrats- it is really fun having these little concrete goals and meeting them while the dogs are having fun and being challenged.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
best get moving girl, and good luck!

·
Gone to the Goldens ;)
1,150 Posts
Yay Tally!

I hope you got to the show safely (and in time). GOOD LUCK TODAY!!! Open is a blast (when your dog is on haha!) :)

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We had fun today with a first place bumper CD leg and a nice Rally Advanced leg too. I did sleep too late to move up ( you have to tell the superintendent 1/2 hour before the day starts). We need all the experience we can get, and it was a blast being in the competition with less pressure. We have both learned alot at our first four shows!

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,692 Posts
YAY! Congratulations to both Tally and you

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now, it's Tango's turn! Finn has one CD leg, and he will be easy. Tango is a little ball of fire, and she wags so much during her stand for exam that it is a cliffhanger every time. Not sure how she will do- great heeling, iffy stays, lol. She "sightsees" during the long down stays no matter how much I proof them, but she is excellent at all the heeling. She's about 20 times more intense than Tally and a tiny bit sassy, so it is going to be an adventure.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Congrats Jill and Tally!! Have fun in Open. Riley and I are taking break from Obedience and we are currently working on Agility.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, I'm not familiar with all the lingo... what does CD stand for?
Obedience titles: CD/Companion dog
Companion dogs meet certain standards
The first in a progression of obedience titles awarded by the American Kennel Club is the Companion dog title. When a dog has achieved this title, his owner can place the letters CD after his registered name.

To earn a CD, the dog must score at least 170 out of a possible 200 points, must get at least half the points awarded for each exercise, and must do so under three separate judges at three separate shows. Each qualifying score is called a leg, so three legs equals a title.

Obedience trial classes are divided into sections A and B. Dogs working towards a CD compete at the Novice level. Novice A is for owners who have never owned or co-owned a dog that has earned a CD. Once a person owns or co-owns any CD dog (or if he is handling a dog owned by someone else) he must enter Novice B.

Novice classes consist of six exercises worth a total of 200 points. Each handler and dog team enters the ring with 200 points; the judge then deducts points based on errors made by either the dog or the handler. A zero is scored if the dog fouls the ring or leaves the handler.

The first exercise is the “heel on leash and figure eight” worth 40 points. The rules require that the dog walk, on a loose leash, with the area between the dog's head and shoulders in line with the handler's left hip. The dog must remain in position as the handler goes fast, slow, left, and right and executes the figure eight on the judge's commands. Each time the judge says “halt,” the dog must sit straight by the handler's side. A zero is scored if the dog is unmanageable.

The second exercise is the “stand for examination,” worth 30 points. The dog must stand in position and stay while being examined by the judge while the handler stands six feet away. A zero is scored if the dog moves away or shows shyness or resentment, growls, snaps, or sits.

The third exercise is the “heel free,” which is 40 points. This exercise is performed and scored the same as the “heel on leash” except that the dog is off-leash and there is no figure eight.

Exercise four is the “recall,” worth 30 points. The dog must sit and stay where left by the handler until it is called, then go directly to the handler and sit in front. A zero is scored if the dog does not stay, does not come on the first call, or does not sit close enough for the handler to reach the its head. The dog must then return to heel position on command, either by walking around the handler or swinging into place.

Exercise five and six are done as a group. The “long sit” is for one minute; the “long down” for three minutes, both done off-leash with the handler standing across the ring. A zero is scored if the dog moves away from its place, visits another dog, or repeatedly barks or whines.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Congrats on your new CD - it feels great - doesn't it??? Savour it!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts