Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Two weeks ago Finn (10 months) collided with another dog playing fetch, when he got up, he kept running but with both of his back legs hopping up together, we stopped him and his walk was totally normal and we didn't think anything of it! We ended up bringing him to the vet a week later because of some slight limping and still running funny and the vet said she thinks he either pulled a muscle or slightly injured his knee. She wasn't for sure and ordered 2 weeks of restricted activity to see if it helped. Well, we are a week and a half in, and thought he doesn't seem in a ton of pain, something is off. He is slightly limping, bearing weight kind of funny, etc. But soooo slight that someone who didn't know him well wouldn't even notice!

We have xrays on Saturday, but I was wondering what were your dogs early symptoms with their CCL injuries? I have read a wide variety of some dogs who won't put their leg down to others who barely show signs that it's bothering them. I am hoping he didn't tear his CCL but I don't know what else it could be?

Thanks!

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
Have you had x-rays of hips and knees done? I would want to verify the patellas & hips are in line but the hopping is sometimes a sign of hip dysplasia. Dogs hide pain, especially golden's so if there is any change in the weight distribution please have the rads done. Better to be safe than sorry and continued bed rest may not solve the problem.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Dogs with an injury to the CCL have a classic odd sit posture with the leg kicked out. You can probably find a picture online.
The vet can quickly and simply do a cranial drawer test (which doesn't use a drawer) which is highly diagnostic for CCL injury.
Here's a good article:

Reactions: tikiandme

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you had x-rays of hips and knees done? I would want to verify the patellas & hips are in line but the hopping is sometimes a sign of hip dysplasia. Dogs hide pain, especially golden's so if there is any change in the weight distribution please have the rads done. Better to be safe than sorry and continued bed rest may not solve the problem.
We are scheduled to bring him in for xrays on Saturday, thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dogs with an injury to the CCL have a classic odd sit posture with the leg kicked out. You can probably find a picture online.
The vet can quickly and simply do a cranial drawer test (which doesn't use a drawer) which is highly diagnostic for CCL injury.
Here's a good article:
He isn't sitting with leg kicked out, but occasionally will lean one knee out to the side. It switches which knee he leans out, and I can't remember if he has always done this! I will be curious to see what information we can get from the xrays on Saturday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts