Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, why would someone with a spayed/neutered dog do the CCA test on the dog? (This is assuming that they're not doing it to provide the information to the breeder).
Also, a friend of mine with a spayed bitch who is doing the CCA at National asked me if the bitch should be show groomed for the CCA. What do you think?
The reason she asked is the bitch is short in the legs and has a pretty apparent sloping topline (back end higher than front). I told her I didn't think the grooming would make much difference in a CCA, but now I wonder if I told her correctly???

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You're right, one reason to enter the CCA would be to provide info to the breeder; the other reason that spayed/neutered dogs enter is to acquire another GRCA title, such as the VC or VCX, indicating versatility in all three areas--breed, performance and field. If a dog has enough points as per the GRCA in performance and field, then a CCA could very well be enough to qualify that golden for an additional GRCA title--a double bonus!

I do have a friend who is entering her veteran golden who is spayed--her reason is to just learn more about the breed. She feels her veteran, although never CH pointed, is a good representative of the breed, but she wants to learn more, and get a better understanding of the standard. So she's doing it for the education.

As for grooming, I would, if I were entering my golden in the CCA, try my best to groom my golden as per the standard, enhancing those features, trying not to call attention to those that detract. If the bitch is high in the rear, your friend can try her best to straighten any wavy hairs, thin undercoat, neaten in any way with blow drying that area--and perhaps "fluff up" the area by the withers--so hard to say without seeing a photo. I certainly wouldn't use any product.

The feathering underneath a golden can be "thinned" to look natural but I've done both good and bad jobs of butchering my Alli (now deceased nearly 2 years) since she was a bit short of leg so if your friend is not proficient, go "au natural." A CCA is being held just north of me in Orlando but my Golden Mac is not yet 18 months so she's not eligible. I sure would like to enter one though, and I am sure I will one day. Hope this is of help!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that was very helpful, thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
When Selli got her CCA, I was thinking of breeding her, but now she will never have puppies, but I am still very glad we did the CCA. Hopefully, she will get a field title and she can get her vc or vcx. Plus I like pretty ribbons.

The CCA event was a great learning event, I think I learned more about the Golden Standard there than I knew before or have learned since. I think the GRCA started the program in part to introduce more novice people like me to understanding the standard.

As to grooming, I think staying natural is the best approach. Since the evaluator is looking at only one dog for fifteen minutes and writing down their observation when they have them, it is hard to get away with grooming out faults.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.