Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Codys mom
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've always had Goldens and cats. ATM we have Cody (2yo) our golden boy & 3 cats; smudge our Manx boy (5yo), and two tabby girls, Hickey (1yo) & Mars (8mths). The dog and cats seem to have a mutual admiration society with both tabbies coming to cuddle up with Cody when he was so very sick recently. They also play chase games and groom each other. I've never had another breed of dog so I was wondering if this is a golden thing or are all dogs like that?

·
Registered
731 Posts
When I had Tessa her and Smokey LOVED eachother. You would always find them together. They slept on the end of my bed together every night...

Now Saadiah and Smokey... oh my. Saadiah thinks he's her personally little toy to chase and Smokey let her, but Smokey loves to make Saadiah mad by putting his paws under the door to get Saadiah attention.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
My American Eskimo just ignores the cats most of the time but if the cats cry like they are hurt, she runs and investigates so I think she does care about them just not as much as the goldens.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My dog always wants to play with our cat,
but she doesn't want anything to do with him.
He even brings his tug rope to her, but she just swats at him.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
My dog always wants to play with our cat,
but she doesn't want anything to do with him.
He even brings his tug rope to her, but she just swats at him.
That is the cutest thing I've read in a long time! I wish Ranger was more like that...:(

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ya, he is pretty sweet inside.....
Outside on walks, if he spots a cat, I better have a good grip on that leash!

·
Codys mom
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aw cute. Thanks for sharing. There must be some breeds that get along with cats better. Looks like GRs are one of them :) pity the cats don't always appreciate it

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
My husbands border collie loves one of our cats. I often see them grooming each other or snuggled up in the crate or on the couch together. Just yesterday they were laying in the crate, Buddy laying there with his 'arm' over her- how sweet is that!! We have other cats that he loves to 'herd' or antagonize them into running so he can chase them (all in fun!) My goldens could care less about them tho.

·
Registered
41 Posts
my choc lab loves to antagonize and chase cats until they stop, but the pup (who's the golden) loves cats he will stop to watch, but never tries to chase and is such a love to them!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts