Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Eddie & Maple's mom
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I made a fatal error when I brought Eddie home as a puppy and now I need to figure out how to fix it. I put up baby gates to protect my "baby" Golden from the two cats who rule our house. Well, my "baby" is now 65lbs and 9 months and the gates are still up and I want my house back. Problem is, I think I waited too long to let the inevitable happen ... the dog wants to chase the cats and the cats like to hiss and bat at the dog between the gate openings but if he gets remotely close they book it. I get so jealous to see photos you all post of your Goldens living in happy harmony with your felines. Any suggestions on what I can do at this point? Thanks!

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
They can still learn to live together....

Try to provide an escape for the cats....where they can go hide if things get to wild for them... Maybe a high spot....or a room that the dog can't go into...

But I think the more time they are together, the more they will get used to each other.

Also....keep in mind that a 9 month old puppy is going to want to play.... And the cats might not think what they're doing is playing.... So yo might have to help Eddie learn some boundaries, too.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I agree with Rick. It's possible for them to still get along. My Pumpkin (cat) ruled the house too when we got Buffy. The cats will definitely put Eddie in his place if he gets too rough and they must be able to get away. And he'll learn to leave them alone if he gets swatted on the nose too many times. Abby had not been around cats when she came a year ago and now they're best buddies. The only problem we have is outside they will chase him if he runs. But he learned long ago to just stay put and hunker down. If he doesn't run, everything is cool. Not that they'd hurt him anyway but the chase is fun!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
It will work out. Like Rick said, make sure they have a place to escape too. My sons room and my room are, for now, off limits to Marley. (my room has the cat food, and Marley just love's my sons toys too much) So the cats have those areas to escape too. Marley has been with them from day one, but now that he's big I have occassionally worried when he starts chasing them. Believe it or not though, they definitely rule the roost. One smack and hiss and Marley decides he'd rather do something else. :)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I think cats rule the roost. They will escape or swat at the dogs. We had an axperience when we brought Trixie into our home. We had 3 adult dogs at the time and Boomer(my gentle golden) wanted to kill her!!! I never expected his behavior-we put a baby gate at the doorway in the kitchen and kept the cat downstairs. Little by little the cat would come up the stairs to the gate and Boomer would go CRAZY!!!!! One day, she hopped the gate and sat on our loveseat the entire day-every time a dog would come near-she would just give them a swat. And from that day on, we had peace in the house. I have to find the pictures of her sleeping, curled up on Boomer's neck. We also have pictures of her cleaning his face while he slept! I believe they will all eventually get along-it's just a slow process.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
good luck with your problem...... I know we could never own cats here with my gang....... Im sure once they get use to each other things will be fine.....

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
Actually--it might be the DOG that needs the place to escape...the cats WILL teach them not not mess with them.

Don't be surprised of the cats seem to enjoy tormenting the dog. One of my cats used to stalk Julie--I just happened to be walking outside when I saw the cat sneaking down a tree....poor puppy was just trying to poop--next thing ya know...wham---she rode that poor dog all over my back yard. Most cats are not that extreme.

If you have to--just take the gate down and leave for a few hours--(so you don't have to watch) I am sure when you come back home they will have worked out an agreement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts