Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got an 11 week old Golden that is driving me nuts. If I let Max out in our yard (no fence, so I need to be there) then he eats mulch, chews grass, digs holes, runs from me and does not stop ever to do his business. I bring him in and then take him back out a few later to try again. The situation repeats: play, but no business. Eventually he is brought back in to the house and then has accidents with no warning (no crying or noise making). To keep him focused, I tried to place him on a leash to keep him in the grass areas for doing is stuff. When I put a leash on him he goes absolutely nuts. He fights it non-stop, so I can't control where he walks to keep him focused on the necessary business at hand. While I have had older, rescue Golden's, I have not had a puppy prior to this. He is a cute bugger and mostly well behaved. However the outside play, rather than taking care of business is stressing the situation. Anyone please have some advice to solve the catch-22 problem?

·
Registered
230 Posts
If they go outside and don't potty, they go back in the crate. Give them 5 minutes then try going outside to potty again. If success, then they can be out in house to play ( or outside on leash to prevent eating gras, digging). If no potty, back to crate, wait, then try again. No fun but they have to learn to get their business done when they go outside.

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
I never take an 11 week old puppy out for potty without a leash. You are there to do a job, remember you are in house breaking training mode.

I do most of my obedience training off leash but always in a secure location. Pups can be really quick if they see something interesting and chasing a puppy down the street, well I'm getting too old to out run a puppy. I agree with working on teaching the pup to want to be near you (off leash) you have to keep the puppy safe. It's up to you to know your environment and what "could" happen if they took off. Safety first :)

CJM offered really good advice, set your pup to succeed. The 1st goal is to avoid accidents in the house. In the process of doing this, they figure out that going outside is your goal. Be sure and reward whenever they squat outside. Just like any training, you want to reward the correct behavior.

Off leash training is a different skill to work on at another time. Focus on one skill at a time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used a slip lead that I hung on the door so it was easy and quick on and off instead of the whole buckle collar leash thing—said “go potty” and once he did was over the top with praise and a treat. Routine — they get it quickly! I still say “go potty” and it’s the first thing my dogs do when their paws hit the grass. Then it’s playtime!! ?

·
StayGoldPiper
44 Posts
Potty breaks at this age should be on leash and we didn't allow her to play until she went. I did the out and in thing a lot at first until she understood. Say "go potty" or whatever when Max is actually going. Do it every single time. Say "good boy" when he is DONE not mid pee. Eventually, he will learn that when you say go potty outside, he is supposed to go. Treat it up too! Treat the second he is done.

I don't have a fence either and honestly, I am no expert, i really struggled potty training my now 8 month old but making potty only about potty really helped. I did bell training too, actually we have an easy to press doorbell glued to a square of wood, and she has to ring it to go out. I am hoping at some point (hoping and hoping!) she will ring it independently to indicate she has to go.

Best of luck, he will get there I PROMISE!

Sara

·
Registered
305 Posts
I used a slip lead that I hung on the door so it was easy and quick on and off instead of the whole buckle collar leash thing—said “go potty” and once he did was over the top with praise and a treat. Routine — they get it quickly! I still say “go potty” and it’s the first thing my dogs do when their paws hit the grass. Then it’s playtime!! ?
This is exactly how we handled training our pup last winter - make sure you've got treats hidden in your pocket, put leash on, go outside to where we wanted him to go potty, and I repeated "Go potty" at 5-10 second intervals until he did, then we had a big party (when he does what we're asking, we say "Yes!!" in a super excited voice (faster than "Good boy!", he gets a little treat, pets, and happy dance from me). After that, I'd let him off leash (100% supervised) to run around, chase a ball, burn off energy.

If your guy is fighting the leash, maybe spend some time working on just making him sit, then you clip on the leash, count to five, give pup his affirmation "Yes/good boy/whatever you do", unclip the leash and then treat. Put the leash away and do it again later.

Goldens are cute little land sharks at this age! But they are so open to learn and, more importantly, please. Are you enrolled at any puppy socialization classes? That's a great way to wear out a pup, and ours included some very basic training tips from the trainer running the class. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I agree with most above, keep this pup on lead outside. I use a 6' lead, not one of those reel leads. Once in the spot my dog should pee (we have a designated place) I stop and say 'Outside'! This is his cue to get it done. I will not move forcing him to stay in the same area. The odors he smells will also stimulate him to go. In time he will learn where to go and to go on command. Good for traveling with the pup.

Also, and most important, if your dog does not have a trained recall on command, 100% of the time or in a fenced yard, that dog is at risk! Far to often dogs are lost, harmed, or killed when they break away chasing another dog, car, or running kids, and then hit by a car. So keep them on lead, until you have trained the dog and/or put up a safe fence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts