Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant seem to find my answer in SEARCH.. So--we have an outside stray cat who poops in the parking overhand gravel and Moses has discovered this source of "goodies'YUCK! SOOO- is there anything to put down that will deter the cat from pooping there or something I can sprinkle or spray on it that will make it less than attractive to Moses without harming him? YUCKY--nasty doggy breath when he comes in!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I am pondering this right now and am going to do an experiment. Since racoons and cats are enemies in nature, I wondered if the racoon urine hunters buy as a cover scent would work to " mark " the territory to keep them away. Just a thought! Good luck, it is so annoying. Amazing they are picky about food and salmon oil, etc. but will eat cat poop in a heartbeat. Yuck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am pondering this right now and am going to do an experiment. Since racoons and cats are enemies in nature, I wondered if the racoon urine hunters buy as a cover scent would work to " mark " the territory to keep them away. Just a thought! Good luck, it is so annoying. Amazing they are picky about food and salmon oil, etc. but will eat cat poop in a heartbeat. Yuck!

Hmmm that is a thought! Hmmm where to get racoon pee? I have a couple hanging around eating the bird food..think they would cooperate? :p:

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
If you can, get a hooded litter box, face it towards the wall with just alittle space for the cat to be able to get into. If not you may have to put up a baby gate to deter the dog from getting into it. That is the only thing that worked for me. The gate has a little kitty whole in it and the cats can get thru but it is too small for the dogs.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I think the bigger danger here is the gravel. Gravel sticks to poop. Dog eats poop. Gravel comes along for the ride.

I speak from experience. Dakota cost me over $5000 in 2007 having gravel removed from his tummy. We never knew exactly _why_ he ate it, but this was one of my suspects.

Cant seem to find my answer in SEARCH.. So--we have an outside stray cat who poops in the parking overhand gravel and Moses has discovered this source of "goodies'YUCK! SOOO- is there anything to put down that will deter the cat from pooping there or something I can sprinkle or spray on it that will make it less than attractive to Moses without harming him? YUCKY--nasty doggy breath when he comes in!

·
and now Mollie's mom too
1,268 Posts
I have heard that people have put mothballs in their gardens and planters to discourage cats from using them as litterboxes. I too am dealing with a "litterbox" grazer. I am looking for a large plastic bin with a lid on it right now.
My intention is to cut an opening (a circle) in one end just large enough for the cat and placing the litter box in this bin. This way the cat can get in but the dog's head won't fit in far enough to reach the litterbox. It will also help cut down on litter being tracked out of the box too I am hoping.
Won't help the problem with the outside cats though. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts