Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Castration vs Vasectomy

7K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  PeggyK 
#1 ·
It's my understanding from reading various sources that castration (ie, neutering, removal of the testes) is not recommended until after maturity for male goldens because they need the hormones produced by the testes in order to obtain full bone growth. If that's the case, why aren't vasectomies performed instead of castration? Seems that would solve the reproduction problem without affecting the hormone levels. Any thoughts?

#3 ·
Wait until the dog is mature, then alter him.

If a person couldn't keep his or her male dog from reproducing at random will, then that person is not qualified to own a live animal IMO

Also, a vasectomy would not have any of the benefits of neutering that are meaningful to a pet owner, temperamentally... it would simply render the dog sterile.

#9 ·
Also, a vasectomy would not have any of the benefits of neutering that are meaningful to a pet owner, temperamentally... it would simply render the dog sterile.
But you said you don't neuter your dogs...so why didn't you want any of these "benefits?" Hmm, that sounded kind of snotty! What I meant was, couldn't you have a perfectly nice male dog without making him a eunuch? :D

#4 ·
PS this does not apply to females for the record. Male dogs need their hormones or else they will grow TOO TALL, with increased risk of bone cancer, and, in some cases, a narrow front and gangly appearance. I don't neuter my own male dogs at any age, and I've never bred any of them, either.

#11 ·
I didn't mean it snotty, though! Truly. I don't neuter my dogs b/c I like them as they are, and I don't have any trouble managing them intact. When I have neutered one of them at an older age at the completion of his show career, it was very traumatic- they nearly killed him- and it was pointless. He has no behavioral issues, and I did it out of pressure from all the spay and neuter obsessed dog people I know. I will NEVER do it again.

Remember also I have lived in Europe where spaying and neutering for "no reason" is considered deplorable. And even though most dogs in Europe are not altered, they do not have the pet overpopulation we do- food for thought for sure.

By benefits I am referencing the fact that many pet owners who are not as familiar with managing dogs as more experienced dog people do have an easier time with a neutered male. Vasectomy would not provide those. I personal like the traits of an intact dog- particularly the more muscular appearance and the better coat. I don't feel the health benefits for a male justify the surgery. However I am not AGAINST people neutering, not at all! It's just not for me.

Females are a whole different ballgame. They are spayed at six months. The health benefits and hormone factors are entirely different for the gals.

#12 ·
Oh no not all male dogs are obnoxious. My puppy is only seven months but he certainly doesn't display any obnoxious behavior. Unless you count his behavior when he hears the kibble hit the metal bowls ever morning as I serve doggy breakfast ;) He, much like Augie from the sounds of things, is very well mannered, walks peacefully on a loose leash, etc. And I know that won't change when he hits maturity.

#16 ·
Unless you count his behavior when he hears the kibble hit the metal bowls ever morning as I serve doggy breakfast...
Yep....that's Samson too. Neutering doesn't change their love for food though, right? I'd hate to lose that. I love how excited he gets at feeding time.....

#13 ·
I feel I should also add that I do alter all rescue dogs before they leave my house, certainly all females, and usually all males, though I make exceptions for elderly males for whom surgery would be a serious risk. Once the dog is out of my hands, I lose the certainty that s/he will never be used for breeding. I am NOT anti altering, but I do think it is a bit to "automatic" here stateside after hearing the perspectives of my European friends :)

#20 ·
I found a dog day care place that holds weekly play parties--they have separate nights for "rough and tumble" dogs and "gentle and mild dogs." We took Augie to the rough and tumble one, because I was afraid the other one might have really little dogs that he'd squish, lol. He did great! There were about 6 other adult dogs, and he got right in the mix. He wasn't afraid, but he wasn't aggressive, either. He was just running around with them, all goofy and friendly. He was exhausted! Earlier in the day, I had taken him to obedience class and a golden retriever puppy had joined the class! So he had gotten about 20 minutes of off-leash play time with her too. He slept goooooooooooood last night, LOL

Anyway, here's a picture from last night. I only took a couple of quick ones, because I felt silly whipping out my camera (you know, like a new mother who has to photograph her kid's every move, lol)...so I didn't get any good shots.

#21 ·
Years ago, we never neutered our dogs and never had behavior issues. My husband always had a problem with the idea of castration-I guess it's a male thing. We did have a dog who had a testicular tumor at the age of 11 and was neutered at that time. He ended up living until the ripe old age of 16. My first Golden boomer was never neutered, but Oakley and Coach were both neutered. Coach was neutered when they operated on his twisted appendix and looping intestines-and he had an undescended testicle. I do believe, like so many other issues, neutering is an individual choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.