Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bailey & Cassie's Momma
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Cassie's first and ONLY heat cycle. She's to be spayed in the next few months. Anyhow, needless to say she's making quite a mess on my kitchen floors :doh:. What are some tried and tested doggie diapers :confused: or methods I can use to keep her from ruining the floors with her lady bits? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I went through 1 heat cycle, with my Lucy. It was incredibly messy. I tried using a sanitary belt and all she would do is chew up the pad first chance she got alone. Nothing really worked well. BASICALLY, we just had to get through it. The worst part was she is used to popping up on our bed and that was a No-No unless we put the sheet down. No matter where we lay the sheet, she would somehow manage to get to an unsheeted part. UGH...it was awful. She was spayed 2 months later and luckily we no longer need to go through that ever again. It took about 2 full weeks of worse bleeding, then tapered off quite rapidly. My honest suggestion.....just get through 2-3 weeks and then you will be home free.... YIKES what we WOMEN go through lol

·
Registered
433 Posts
Most pet stores sell a modified diaper, either disposable or fabric, that you can have her wear. If she's going to be spayed in a few months, I would just pick up a pack of disposable diapers and have her wear it whenever you're home and can supervise her. Otherwise, some heavy blankets on the furniture to protect it, and a pack of baby wipes in every room to clean up behind her.

This is the style my Ella wore (I found them at Petco):

·
Registered
299 Posts
I didn't have a pet store close to me when Sophie went into heat so I had to improvise. I bought little boy underwear (Sponge Bob!) and pulled her tail through the fly. I also put little panty liners in there and changed them out a couple times a day. Just don't forget to take them off when they go outside. I had taken Sophie out and she did her business and a few minutes later a friend took her back out to play fetch. Apparently when they're in heat they pee more to mark their area to attract the boys and she peed again only a few minutes later. Taking off pee soaked underwear was not fun.

I've attached a picture but it's pretty dark. She was too embarassed to show her face for a couple of weeks!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
My little Daisy is going through it right now. I have been using Simple Solutions 'doggie pants in pretty pink and another bright purple pair. I just put a sanitary napkin inside and it has been working great. I tried the doggie diapers but the tabs kept breaking and the diaper would fall off. The large velcro tabs on the doggie pants are very secure. I can't wait to get her spayed!!!! I promised the breeder I would wait until she was 18 mo but I don't want to go through this again, even though she has been really good. By the way, I found the pants at Pet Smart. Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
16,405 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts