Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the vitals, Casey is 6 months old weighs @50 lbs.

Since he was @3 months old we have put a small football in his dish to slow him down when eating.

As of Sunday, he has little or no interest in eating. Has eaten about half of what he normally does. (about1 3/4 cups 2 times a day of pro plan)

He chews his toys, plays, Zoomies, goes for his walk, urinates & deficates,
just eats very little & just picks at his food.

Any ideas?

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
As long as everything else is fine I would just keep a very close watch on him. It may just be a phase. If you do see any changes in activity I would head straight to the vet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advise. I was getting worried but he has since eaten his dinner, gone for a wet walk ( which he loved ) zoomied, and has mostly been the average terror 6 month old golden.

Will watch him closely.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Most dogs will slow down around that age. Is he on the puppy or adult food? Mine all were switched to adult at that age. As long as he is playing, eating, drinking and oomies, then I would not worry. But you can get a check up to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is still on the puppy. Really wasn't sure when to switch to adult, was thinking 1 year.
Maybe I need to switch to adult food. We will see how this goes.
I think if he is not eating any better tomorrow I will call the vet just to be safe.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Considering everything else is normal, maybe he's cutting back on the amount of food he needs. Growth starts to slow down a bit at this age. Is the 3/4 cup/twice a day what he's being given or what he's actually eating?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He has been given @ 3.5 cups a day for awhile now. Only eating @ 1 cup a day for a few days.
This morning he ate almost 1.5 cups so maybe he is self adjusting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts