Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a dog that had adverse effects from Cartrophen. My boy is 12 and five months, has laryngeal paralysis but doesn’t seem to bother him that much. His back legs were wobbly and he slowed up with walking. He was taking Metacam but it didn’t seem to have much effect. He then went on to Cartrophen and after the first week he declined. Initially it is a four week course with an injection once a week. He has completed the 4 week course but has declined even more. Has anyone had this happen or do you think it’s a coincidence, like my vet does.

·
Super Moderator
945 Posts
Can you explain more about how he declined? It’s typically a very safe drug to use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He became slower, his right back leg became stiffer so he wasn’t bending it to walk. He didn’t really want to walk at all in the morning. In the evening he managed a slow short walk which has become shorter . After the first injection he started to’hop’ with his two back legs as he found it easier but it also exhausted him. He is still eating normally but is becoming more and more wobbly and not wanting to go anywhere much at all. Of course this could just be coincidence.

·
Super Moderator
945 Posts
He became slower, his right back leg became stiffer so he wasn’t bending it to walk. He didn’t really want to walk at all in the morning. In the evening he managed a slow short walk which has become shorter . After the first injection he started to’hop’ with his two back legs as he found it easier but it also exhausted him. He is still eating normally but is becoming more and more wobbly and not wanting to go anywhere much at all. Of course this could just be coincidence.

Did you stop the metacam when you started the Cartrophen?

If you stopped the metacam, which may have dulled his pain and started the Cartrophen at the same time, that may explain why he's exhibiting more pain now. Cartrophen stimulates cartilage proliferation in the chondrocytes. This is not usually instant pain relief and in severe cases of arthritis, it may not be enough to improve clinical signs. We use something similar in horses and in some it works very well and others do not see improvement.

I'll follow up with another example: we have a horse who was diagnosed with kissing spine. Prior to his diagnosis, he exhibited just mild signs of discomfort and was an excellent riding horse. We assumed initially it was pain elsewhere, so we decided to give him a steroid injection to see if it eased his pain. Naturally he felt better, and his performance improved. However, once the steroid ran its course, he was in extreme pain and not due to the steroid directly, but due to having to experience the full force of his pain again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is on Metacam every day. He doesn’t whimper so I don’t know if he is in pain but it’s pitiful to watch him now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My vet has said if he shows no sign of improvement within a month then we wouldn’t continue with Cartrophen.

·
Super Moderator
945 Posts
My vet has said if he shows no sign of improvement within a month then we wouldn’t continue with Cartrophen.
I'm sorry to hear this :( It doesn't work for every dog.

The above is a study explaining how Cartrophen Vet works and how it improves clinical signs. I'm not a vet, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. You sound like a wonderful pet owner who loves their dog so much. I do not think Cartrophen would cause more severe clinical signs and I truly hope you manage to find something to help your baby with the pain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you stop the metacam when you started the Cartrophen?

If you stopped the metacam, which may have dulled his pain and started the Cartrophen at the same time, that may explain why he's exhibiting more pain now. Cartrophen stimulates cartilage proliferation in the chondrocytes. This is not usually instant pain relief and in severe cases of arthritis, it may not be enough to improve clinical signs. We use something similar in horses and in some it works very well and others do not see improvement.

I'll follow up with another example: we have a horse who was diagnosed with kissing spine. Prior to his diagnosis, he exhibited just mild signs of discomfort and was an excellent riding horse. We assumed initially it was pain elsewhere, so we decided to give him a steroid injection to see if it eased his pain. Naturally he felt better, and his performance improved. However, once the steroid ran its course, he was in extreme pain and not due to the steroid directly, but due to having to experience the full force of his pain again.

The above is a study explaining how Cartrophen Vet works and how it improves clinical signs. I'm not a vet, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. You sound like a wonderful pet owner who loves their dog so much. I do not think Cartrophen would cause more severe clinical signs and I truly hope you manage to find something to help your baby with the pain.

Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts