Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amber has regressed to eating carpet again. She will pull out tufts of carpet from the edges against the tile. We just had her x-rayed for pea gravel when being checked for a limp. She is on restricted exercise for two weeks for panosteitis. She is never left unattended in the house and it can be as quick as a turn of the back. We have timed-out, sprayed Bitter Yucky, redirected and scolded "Uh-oh." We do not punish. We had just gotten her out of this habit the last month and a half through increased vigilance and extra exercise. Just getting frustrated as most said to ensure that she had enough exercise and now she is exercise restricted. Anyone else have a carpet eating puppy? :doh:

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I wish I had an easy answer. If you aren't already doing it do a lot more training sessions each day. Train things that don't have a lot of activity to them. And only let her on/near the carpet when you can have both eyes on her the whole time. Have her eat part of her meals in the toys that dispense the food.

Training suggestions:

Down stays
Sit stays
Leave it games
hand targets

I know it is hard and two weeks seems like an eternity when you are in it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You!

Thank you for the non-activity game suggestions. Great idea! She needs those anyway as hubby does not train her everyday and when I get her into Novice Obedience, I WILL train her everyday and make it fun. She seems much more bouncy than my Irish setters. She is a love and sooo sweet, though. My husband decided not to take Amber to the Games class right now until she is better....maybe for the Feb 16 start. No one even notices the limp except me and the doc. I watched so many Irish setter gait in Conformation that I can tell a limp when I see one. :wavey:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts