Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocky tore some skin off both carpal pads. Our ground is frozen and I assume he did it while making one of his patented (yeah, like no other Golden does it:)) zoomie turns. One pad is damaged more than the other but both have lost skin from the topside. He licked for a few hours yesterday but is now leaving them alone. I treated him with Animax but was wondering it Neosporin would accelerate the healing like it does on humans? Ok to use Neosporin? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I believe neosporin is okay to use on dogs, though I'm not sure how good it is for them to lick it (maybe others can comment on that). You may also want to consider Musher's secret. I bought some for the first time yesterday because Brady has been cutting his pads on the ice/frozen snow when he runs around like a nut outside. It is non-toxic and will soothe and help promote healing of any nicks and cuts on the paws. And if you apply it before going outside, helps to protect again salt burns and chapping/irritation from the frozen surfaces. I used it on Brady last night before playtime and for the first time in 4 days he didn't come in with his paws bleeding.

·
Nicole
227 Posts
my boy rips his way too often, i don't understand how he does or why he doesn't try to avoid it! last weekend it looked like a massacre at the ball park & he seemed totally unaffected until we got home & he licked it. I am thinking of wrapping some soft medical tape, like the tape they wrap around plaster casts?, around him for jaunts in the park where he is retreiving & zooming lots. i'll let you know if we come back blood-free :crossfing.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Alot of people recommend using the liquid bandage. And then wrap it up. If it gets too bad, you may have to have the vet use some medical glue.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Quiz shears the skin off his all the time on dry grass. Now that I know this, I wrap them in Vet Wrap before a run.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
I have used neosporin, but not on pads. I have used New Skin on pads a few times. Barley used to tear his carpal pads all the time when we used to do flyball, so we bought these wraps for him. They are great! They are called Z-Control Skid Boots... Just made life easier than wrapping him all the time :)

http://webpages.charter.net/dhfm/ZControl.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts