Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past 2 car rides, Chance has gotten car sick...this is something new as we have been going to puppy classes for the past 5 weeks and other outings in the car without a problem. I thought the first time was a fluke and took him with me tonight in the car but he got sick again. Any suggestions would be appreciated...both times he had eaten at least 2 hours before the trip and did not seem stressed during the ride...so the sickness was rather unexpected. Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I will definitely pick some up!! We actually missed his puppy class on Saturday because on the way there, he puked in my lap...needless to say, we had to turn around and go home--yuck!! Is this something they outgrow or can I expect that he will continue to have issues?

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Bailey has horrible car sickness. I feel so bad for her. I will have to write down the dramamine.

·
Faux Wanda
1,528 Posts
We had one dog that wouldn't throw up but he would be soooo stressed that he would drool a river, non stop. I am not kidding. I have never seen anything like it. He would have slimy drool just pouring out of both sides of his mouth. We took a trip to Alabama which was about a 2 hour drive and he was in the back seat with my sister in law and a roll of paper towels. By the time we got there, the roll of paper towels was gone and he was very thirsty. We found that he was less stressed if we didn't let him have the whole back of the SUV. If we put the seats up and put him in the very back, he was OK. He did grow out of it eventually. If this is a stress issue, maybe a crate in the car isn't such a bad idea.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Lily used to get car sick every time we went in the car...didn't matter if the ride was 2 minutes or 2 hours. She's 8 months now and what seems to have cured her carsickness is putting her bed in the car. We found this out completely by fluke a couple of months ago (we were taking the bed to puppy class with us to teach her "on your bed") and now we take it everywhere. I don't know if it's because she can stretch out or if it feels safe or what, but we'd been spending up to $12 per pill (pills were from the vet) and with 2 pills per ride, well, it added up. So now we just lug around a big awkward bed...she's happy and so are we :)

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Lily used to get car sick every time we went in the car...didn't matter if the ride was 2 minutes or 2 hours. She's 8 months now and what seems to have cured her carsickness is putting her bed in the car. We found this out completely by fluke a couple of months ago (we were taking the bed to puppy class with us to teach her "on your bed") and now we take it everywhere. I don't know if it's because she can stretch out or if it feels safe or what, but we'd been spending up to $12 per pill (pills were from the vet) and with 2 pills per ride, well, it added up. So now we just lug around a big awkward bed...she's happy and so are we :)
I bet it's from stretching out... I get car sick HORRIBLY... and I've found that sprawling out in the back seat helps me. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts