1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
We got a hammock version and its great! If I stop suddenly. Bear doesn't fall into the floorboard any more. WHEW!

·
Charlotte
6,160 Posts
We have option #3 and love it. It really stays in place nicely and is so cozy that when we take my Dad out and he sits in the front seat ( at my insistence) I do not even remove the cover.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I had the hammock style and loved it as it also keeps hair off the floor, then decided to wash it and the backing material completely disintegrated. what a mess.
I now just use an old twin sized comforter which is easy to wash.

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
I do not believe in transporting dogs in a car without putting them in a crate or seat harness. I believe it is dangerous for the dog, like riding in a car without a seat belt. They do make a harness for a dog to wear that hooks to the seat belts, but other than that, I consider this dangerous for a number of reasons.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I do not believe in transporting dogs in a car without putting them in a crate or seat harness. I believe it is dangerous for the dog, like riding in a car without a seat belt. They do make a harness for a dog to wear that hooks to the seat belts, but other than that, I consider this dangerous for a number of reasons.
You can use a seat cover and a seat belt harness. The seatbelts come through holes that are in the cover and you hook the tether to the seatbelt.

You can also put a crate on top of the cover. I've transported many dogs that way. It still helps keep the hair off from the seats.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've got the first one and it works fine. I use it in conjunction with a harness to make sure Tippi stays secure. I don't expect it to last forever as it's not really expensive but it should do the job for a couple of years. Another plus is that it's also easy to move between the car and the SUV.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Following since I just noticed there are now little tears in the leather seats from ferrying Tomo daily to daycare :eek:

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,297 Posts
This is a US company, products made in the US.

Their products are a little more expensive, quality is really great and the products are well made.
You basically get what you pay for.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Seat covers are a wonderful thing, I would also recommend hammock-style one we got from Orvis. You get what you pay for with these, and Orvis has a lifetime warranty on their products. Reviews of covers that fall apart in heat/ washing etc. had me willing to pay more and get something that will last for many years of adventures.
Orvis hammock seat cover with window

·
Registered
36 Posts
We have a hammock as well and I’d point out that having door protection (typically using a strap around the overhead grab handle) and getting front seat headrest covers (some come with them but can be purchased separately) are very valuable. The one we have also has “handles” for securing the cover to the seat (marginal but does help limiting slippage of the hammock) and very strong Velcro slits for inserting seat belt anchors like harnesses or kennels.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Just came across these cute Molly Mutt seat covers on Chewy: Molly Mutt Amarillo by Morning Multi-Use Cargo, Hammock & Car Seat Cover - Chewy.com

They're cotton canvas so they are launderable and should be a bit more substantial in weight.
Updating with how the cover has held up the past 2 months:

Pros: The design is super cute, it still makes a nice hammock even though I'm very short. The fabric has held up very well after several washes in my front-loading washing machine and hang to dry. Tomo took to the seat cover immediately and loves it.

Cons: The straps going around the headrests are adjustable but do not have their own buckles, so if you want the straps super tight you'll have to take off the headrests. As I wash the cover every week, I've settled on a slightly looser setting for the straps so I can wiggle them on and off without taking the headrests off. The backing is not grippy enough on my leather seats, so it slides around a little. Tomo likes sitting/lying in it like an actual hammock (aided by my seat being so far front), so the cover tends to move into the center. There is no extra flap covering the sides of the seat, so when this happens, sand and dirt will fall over the edge. Also the holes for the seatbelts do not have fabric overlap, so dirt will also easily fall through the holes.

Overall, we like it a lot, and I think if he was a less dirty dog (he cannot resist any type of water and if there's mud he'll find it) and we are not in the car everyday, it would be a great, attractive option.

I am now looking at Orvis and other hammock-style covers that are better for more dirt. Plus it will be nice to have 2 covers so I can alternate when one is in the wash.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts