Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I please have some advice and guidance as to what brand of car safety harness you favor and why? Lacie is 14 months old and weighs 67 pounds. She can no longer sit still or be in a crate when I travel with her. I just read an article that stated that car safety harness are not all that effective in preventing puppy/dog injuries during an auto accident but they are useful in preventing dog distractions for the driver. I drive from MA to Rhode Island a lot during the summer and from the Boston area, I drive west on the Mass Pike out to the Berkshires. I really want to get a car safety harness for Lacie as it will prevent her from distracting me while I drive and help to save her life and protect her from injury, should I ever get into an accident. So, what brand of harness do you use and recommend? As always, I appreciate your answers.
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
When Maverick was younger we I just picked up a car harness from Petsmart. It served it's purpose in keeping him still and not letting him wander off the seat. He's since outgrown it and I haven't bought another one yet.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Just FYI - there are no good stats on car restraints for dogs about what gives the dog the best chance of avoiding injury in an accident. Many people swear by airline crates. There was a recent study of dog car harnesses that suggested they were essentially useless at preventing injury, but that doesn't mean airline crates are necessarily better. To me, the deduction still points to a harness as a dog's best chance of survival, but I respect the plastic crate as a viable, sensible option.

If you watch the crash videos, you can see a common factor in the injuries theorized is the momentum the dog is able to gather relative to the attachment point of the harness because of the length of the strap attaching the harness to the car seat. A shorter strap, it would seem, could help with this issue.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Until they list the particular brands they tested in that study I will continue to use the Champion k9 Design harness from USAk9outfitters.com. I've tried many harnesses over the years and this is the only one I feel my dogs are safe using. I cannot fit two crates in my car and soon I will not be able to fit any crates as I'll be driving a hybrid sedan by the end of the year, so harnesses are in our future.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Until they list the particular brands they tested in that study I will continue to use the Champion k9 Design harness from USAk9outfitters.com. I've tried many harnesses over the years and this is the only one I feel my dogs are safe using. I cannot fit two crates in my car and soon I will not be able to fit any crates as I'll be driving a hybrid sedan by the end of the year, so harnesses are in our future.
That's the one I currently have. My Aussie could get out of it super fast. I hope my new dog won't be able to.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
That's the one I currently have. My Aussie could get out of it super fast. I hope my new dog won't be able to.
Do you mean back out of the harness? If so, it needs to be adjusted or the size is too big. This is the first harness that doesn't twist over my dogs' legs if they decide to move. I believe Toyota recommended it at one time in their owner manuals according to another forum member.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
NJ pets must be crated or seat belted in the vehicle. Or you could face up to $1000 fine and 6 months jail time per offense. N.J. law: Put a seat belt on your pet or pay a fine | State | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

Mine all wear Solvit harnesses in the car. The yorkies also ride in a booster seat just encase we are in an accident Buddy doesn't land on them. Solvit Products
Just FYI - It seems that New Jersey didn't actually pass any legal language specific to harnessing dogs. Those fines are for transporting animals in a cruel way, with some language that allows officers to cite you if unrestrained dogs are interfering with your ability to drive. It would be a bit of a stretch of the language to cite you purely because your dog was sitting in the back seat or rear cargo area without a harness.

Relevant law (4:22-17 and 4:22-18 would seem to apply). The closest you get to a rule about harnessing is this: "A person who shall carry, or cause to be carried, a living animal or creature in or upon a vehicle or otherwise, in a cruel or inhumane manner, shall be guilty of a disorderly persons offense and punished as provided in subsection a. of R.S.4:22-17."

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
In Germany, most had bars on the back for their dogs. It was a law that dogs must not interfere. My Bichon always wants to be in my lap, so if I am driving, he is crated. Ellie, on the other hand, wedges herself between the captains chairs in my minivan and doesn't move an inch. She does not obstruct me in any way at all.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Just FYI - It seems that New Jersey didn't actually pass any legal language specific to harnessing dogs. Those fines are for transporting animals in a cruel way, with some language that allows officers to cite you if unrestrained dogs are interfering with your ability to drive. It would be a bit of a stretch of the language to cite you purely because your dog was sitting in the back seat or rear cargo area without a harness.

Relevant law (4:22-17 and 4:22-18 would seem to apply). The closest you get to a rule about harnessing is this: "A person who shall carry, or cause to be carried, a living animal or creature in or upon a vehicle or otherwise, in a cruel or inhumane manner, shall be guilty of a disorderly persons offense and punished as provided in subsection a. of R.S.4:22-17."
I used harnesses even before this legislation was being discussed.

If you get stopped for something else they can ticket you for the unrestainted pets.
New Jersey Consolidated Cruelty Statutes

A person not wearing a selt belt is $46 http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/bystate/nj.html and texting while driving is $100. If your child is improperly restainted it is only $25- Go figure?!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I used harnesses even before this legislation was being discussed.

If you get stopped for something else they can ticket you for the unrestainted pets.
New Jersey Consolidated Cruelty Statutes

A person not wearing a selt belt is $46 and testing while driving is $100. If your child is improperly restainted it is only $25- Go figure?!
Could you point out where in those laws that both you and I linked that it says anything about restraining the dog? I already quoted the one line from 4:22-18 about transporting animals, and it does not say anything about harnesses, crates, or any kind of restraint: A person who shall carry, or cause to be carried, a living animal or creature in or upon a vehicle or otherwise, in a cruel or inhumane manner, shall be guilty of a disorderly persons offense and punished as provided in subsection a. of R.S.4:22-17.

The officer would have to cite you for carrying the animal in a vehicle in a cruel or inhumane manner. It seems like quite a stretch to apply that to failing to restrain a dog.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Could you point out where in those laws that both you and I linked that it says anything about restraining the dog? I already quoted the one line from 4:22-18 about transporting animals, and it does not say anything about harnesses, crates, or any kind of restraint: A person who shall carry, or cause to be carried, a living animal or creature in or upon a vehicle or otherwise, in a cruel or inhumane manner, shall be guilty of a disorderly persons offense and punished as provided in subsection a. of R.S.4:22-17.

The officer would have to cite you for carrying the animal in a vehicle in a cruel or inhumane manner. It seems like quite a stretch to apply that to failing to restrain a dog.
I think having them harnessed which I do anyway is far better than risking trouble.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
There was an article I read last year showing dogs were getting injured using those harnesses. I'll try to find it. seems your damned if you do damned if you dont'.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have two Kurgo "Enhanced Strength Tru-Fit Smart Harnesses". There is a safety test video on the Kurgo website. I hook the teathers to the back seat shoulder belts on our Subaru Forester or Toyota Tundra using carabiners. It works with the seats up or folded down. The dogs can lay down by pulling slowly on the seat belt, but it locks if they pull suddenly. The harness has a front ring to attach a leash. This seems like a good solution for us.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts