Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping you guys can help me with an issue we are having with our dog. She is about 2 1/2 years old and goes crazy on car rides! She is not afraid of the rides, she jumps right up in to the vehicle and is super excited to go on a trip. However, when we get on the road she is constantly moving around, chasing the cars as they drive by and smacking against our windows and occasionally barks. We have tried her in a crate, she goes really crazy in that. We have tried her in the back of our SUV with the wire gate between the back seat and cargo area and most recently we put half of the back seat down in my pickup and have her in a caged area. Does anyone have a solution on how to get her to calm down? Are there any anxiety drugs that might work? It is very distracting and annoying when we travel for any length of time. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Kirby has always been anxious in the car, she gets motion sick and has been nervous in the car. She loves to go places but between her energy, excitement the car sickness gets her.

Dramamine works well on longer trips. She has gotten much better, she goes to class twice a week now and she does very well. I have a 4-door GP, the back seat has a seat extender and hammock with the center open, she has a Kurgo seat belt that keeps her safe and in the back seat. She can lay with her head between he seats but not come into the front seat. just make sure your girl is secure, give her something like dramamine and start with frequent short rides, gradually going for longer rides. Kirby now rides for over 7 hours to the Cape and is just fine. You can do it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am with you on this!!

My god, Sam is back and forth in the car with anxiety issue as well...

We tried to put him at the back of our CRV, he barks like crazy. There's one time, we were on a road trip, about 2 hours drive, he barked 1.5 hours!!

He does better on highway, but once gets on local, he goes nuts... For all these times, I had to sit w/ him at the back and hold on to him when we go out... =(

I recently talked to the Vet, she said she can prescribe some meds, but we don't want to. I am going to try the Thundershirt, and just bought a Calming collar.

Anyone else can recommend training method, product or anything (other than meds)???????

·
and now Mollie's mom too
1,268 Posts
Mollie started developing an issue where EVERY car that passed us in the opposite lane required to be fiercely barked at. It definitely was not a habit I enjoyed since I take her to work with me 5 days a week and it is just her and I in the car so I can't do much more that yell at her to stop. I was considering crating her. One day when I thought I couldn't take one more bark, I grabbed an umbrella I had between the seats and smacked the handle down hard on the floor in the back (you can do that and still drive, YES) and gave a loud, NO BARK. Well, that got her attention! Had to repeat this a few times but the barking has been cured.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I am going to try the Thundershirt, and just bought a Calming collar.
Chance has a Thundershirt and it's helped him in the car, but he still stresses, (he hates car rides :(). I had never heard of the Calming Collars. I looked it up and I might order one. I'm thinking that using the two together just might do the trick.

Have you tried the collar yet? Just wondering if you noticed any difference.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Haven't tried the collar yet, will definitely give feedback after we try.

This is what I got: Dog Calming Aids: Good Behavior Calming Collars|DrsFosterSmith.com

Chance has a Thundershirt and it's helped him in the car, but he still stresses, (he hates car rides :(). I had never heard of the Calming Collars. I looked it up and I might order one. I'm thinking that using the two together just might do the trick.

Have you tried the collar yet? Just wondering if you noticed any difference.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I've used Comfort Zone, same idea as the collar. I spray it on a scarf and also on the hammock in the back seat. I also give Kirby dramamine for long trips.

Do you use a seat blet for dogs? You should restrain them for both yuor safety and theirs. I hope the thunder shirt works for you. With Kirby is took a combination of things and short trips to places she like to go now she is so much better, hasn't gotten sick in years and is pretty good in the car. Not "plopped down and fall asleep" good like Darby. Good-luck.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Is it possible that you are stressed out yourself and the dog senses it and then gets stressed also? Maybe a little walk and mind clearing before loading in car might help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts