Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question:

To simplify,

Around the 16th century, Catholic priests were selling ___ to people as 'licenses' to get into Heaven and for their salvation.

What the heck is the word?? I'm drawing a blank and I can't get the answer from google...it's been on the tip of my tongue for the last 4 hours! Someone help!

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, indulgences!!! Finally!! Thank you!! I've been typing up a stupid paper and putting _____ everywhere that word belonged since I'm basing my whole argument on that! Haha!

Bentley's Mom - indulgences for penance! Thanks!

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's so frustrating! At least now I'm making some progress!

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What class is it for? I love that kinda stuff!
Religion, Society and War in Europe from 1559 - 1732. The course looks really interesting and I'm happy I'm not doing this on a completely blank slate, like some of my previous courses!

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Have to tell my favorite indulgence story. The Catholic Church still has them, not for sale, but for something you do to get credit for time off in purgatory for yourself or someone else. I was in a scripture class at a Catholic seminary and the priest told us there was a indulgence if you read the Bible everyday. It was a big indulgence, all purgatory time wiped away. One of my classmates piped up "Well, I guess that information alone is worth the price of the class."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts