Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several months now I've been trying to get rid of a minor flea problem, but nothing I try is working.

I was using Frontline plus for about a year and a half and after visiting a friend's dog, Caleb came home with fleas that just wouldn't go away. I've vacuumed, washed all the bedding he touches, given him a bath. Didn't solve the problem. So I gave him a dose of capstar and went through the whole cleaning ritual again. The fleas came back. Most recently, I switched over to Advantix and he still has fleas.

The funny thing is I only find the fleas in one spot on him and only a couple at a time. They're on the inner thighs of his back legs. I don't know much about how Frontline and Advantix work, but it seems like maybe it isn't reaching that part of him?

·
Retired bum..........
1,106 Posts
That is odd that neither work. You might try Comfortis which is an oral type. It works well for my lab. It is a prescription type though. Your vet should have it.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
It may be that you are killing off all the fleas on him in one lifecycle, but then the eggs hatch and then you have fleas again. Perhaps give him Capstar once every few days or so for a couple weeks to make sure all fleas and all hatched eggs die (combined with regularly vacuuming and washing all bedding, etc)

You may also want to try Bug Off Garlic, which is a natural flea repellent and also has other health benefits :)

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,616 Posts
Did you flea bomb the house?

The topicals will take care of fleas on the dog. The flea eggs on the other hand get into the carpet and furniture, so the fleas keep coming back. You need to treat the dog, the yard and the house to get rid of the little buggers.

·
Went Rogue...
599 Posts
After battling fleas my entire life (it seems), I am so happy that the last two places that I've lived do not have fleas. It is so nice to not have to deal with the pesticides, I guess that's my main point, although it's also nice just to not have to deal with them in general.

Some years would be easy years and other years would just be impossible to control them. Wow, I had almost forgotten.

Poor Caleb! I wish you luck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I read that cedar wood deflects fleas (they don't like it for some reason!) Costco has nice dog beds that have cedar chips in them. Maybe try one of those as a new bed for your puppy. I haven't had to give Daisy any flea medicine, but we would go to friends houses and she would come home with one or two and get an immediate bath and now that we have the new dog bed I haven't seen any!

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
The fleas may be in your yard too, so you might need to treat your yard. When we moved into our current home, the previous owners had a dog and cat that had the run of the home. We never had a problem with flea bites, so thought the house was flea free. When we brought Sam into our family, a year and half later, we started seeing fleas....on Sam and on us. Seems they can hibernate and come 'awake' when they sense the body heat of an animal (their body temp is higher than ours). We ended up bombing the house, treating the yard, and treating Sam. That was 17 years ago and we've not had 1 flea since.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Thanks for sharing on an important topic for one who doesn't yet have a puppy. We have three weeks and two days, but who's counting. Wondering if anything that was posted about hot spots would possibly work in a localized area on a dog? I for one am not really into so many chemicals. I read that Listerine and Gold Bond are good for hot spots, if treating an area(perhaps a small area) with fleas using this method might help? I dunno, just a thought. I'd try it before the more aggressive chemical approach, maybe depending on the situation.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
On another board I belong to, I have a friend who owns a pest control company..mostly large contracts for apartment complexes, business, city animal control...pidgeons, mice, etc. For individuals who seek advice regarding environmentally safe pest control, she recommends Cedarcide. Many pet safe products to use in the yard and inside the home and directly on people or dogs. She takes a bottle with her when she goes on vacations to spray beds, furniture, her suitcase, so she won't bring bed bugs home with her. Apparently, bed bugs have become a huge problem.

Several people on the board are using this product and they are reporting good results, here is the website: http://www.cedarcidestore.com/ANIMALHEALTH.html.

I haven't ordered it yet, but haven't had a pest problem recently. We get ants in the spring/summer, so I am thinking about trying the product out next summer.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'm really intrigued by the cedar based insecticide. We rent an apartment so I don't know if we could flea bomb, even if I wanted to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For the past month in a half I've been using nothing but natural products in an attempt to get rid of all the fleas but nothing is working!! I've used tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil, ACV, Boric acid, vacuumed and washed everything, and the fleas keep coming!

I'll find 2-3 a day, and then a week later, it comes back. It's usually near his inner thigh, or at the base of his tail. We just gave him a bath on Saturday and I found another one this morning.

I'm beginning to think I should start using Advantage of Frontline but am scared of the long term affects of my golden or any skin irritations. I don't want to use toxic chemicals on my dog, but can't bare to see him scratching all day.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Should I remain using natural products, or get Advantage or Frontline? Also, which brand do you guys prefer on your Goldens and what kind of side affects have you've seen?

Any suggestions would be helpful! I also read that Bug Off Garlic Powder for Dogs works, but I'm not sure how effective it is. Thanks guys!

·
Princess Muddy Paws
44 Posts
Well, I went through this years ago with our cats. We tried everything - have you ever tried to give a cat with claws a bath?! Yikes! We bug bombed our house twice, and finally resorted to ripping up all of the carpets! The fleas were in the house/carpet when we moved in and the carpet was shag - no great loss. Otherwise, Penny Royal is supposed to work too.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Comfortis (chewable flea med for dogs, worked when Frontline didn't)
Diatomaceous earth all over your carpets, furniture (vacuum it up off the carpet and furniture), and lawn
Wash ALL of your dog's toys and bedding in hot water
Wash your dog!

That's how I got rid of fleas.

ETA: That pic of your dog in his little coat is super cute!

·
Super Moderator Leader
54,176 Posts
I've NEVER had any luck with any of the topical flea products, not sure if living a block off the Intercoastal Waterway has anything to do with it or not, it's very damp here, very humid in the summer months.

A couple of years ago I switched to Comfortis, next month I am going to start giving my two Trifexis which is the flea and HW preventative in one. I keep both my guys on HW/flea preventative year round.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I have never had a flea issue. Even with 30 + yrs of doing rescues. All of my dogs get brewers yeast with garlic. I start giving this around the end of march I live in northern MN and contintue to give them daily doses until the end of Oct. I also use ceder shaving around the house and around each tie out when I had dogs tied outside. I dont have carpet but I would vaccuum the rugs with a chopped up flea collar in the vaccuum bag once a week whenever a new dog came into the house. All the dogs were flea dipped too. I cant remember the name of the dip but we used at the vet hospital that I worked at. I have not done rescue work on that large of a scale in about 3yrs but this treatment worked great.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
remember that the toxic flea remedies have long term dangers for the dogs health down the road..... look into natural alternatives.... I always say- a flea or two is not going to kill a dog.... products like frontline etc just might.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you all for your input and advice, I really appreciate it! I bought brewers yeast with garlic and it seems to be working. I also bought Adams Water-Based Flea Spray but am holding off on that. I live in the SF and its been a pretty bad flea season this year, lets hope they stay off my dog!

·
Registered
13 Posts
After years of fostering dogs from shelters and uncaring releasing owners and fighting the flea problem here in the Pacific NW, I have found that the old fashion nasty flea collar has a use. I cut them into pieces and tuck them into furniture under rugs and other places the dogs can't get to them. This eliminates the indoor flea problem, is inexpensive and easy. I change them about every 3 months and of course treat the dogs monthly with a topical.;)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
remember that the toxic flea remedies have long term dangers for the dogs health down the road..... look into natural alternatives.... I always say- a flea or two is not going to kill a dog.... products like frontline etc just might.
True. But they can make a dog VERY uncomfortable. Flora scratched herself until she bled, developed hot spots, and contracted tapeworms from the fleas. As much as I would have loved to have given natural remedies a chance, I wasn't going to make her suffer any longer than she had to.

I can see the use of natural remedies in less dire circumstances though!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I've NEVER had any luck with any of the topical flea products, not sure if living a block off the Intercoastal Waterway has anything to do with it or not, it's very damp here, very humid in the summer months.

A couple of years ago I switched to Comfortis, next month I am going to start giving my two Trifexis which is the flea and HW preventative in one. I keep both my guys on HW/flea preventative year round.
We had the same great luck with Comfortis. My vet said that she has noticed lots of clients telling her that the topicals just aren't working for their pets anymore and she feels that the fleas are developing a resistance to those commonly used chemicals. Comfortis has worked wonderfully for both my dogs.

True. But they can make a dog VERY uncomfortable. Flora scratched herself until she bled, developed hot spots, and contracted tapeworms from the fleas. As much as I would have loved to have given natural remedies a chance, I wasn't going to make her suffer any longer than she had to.

I can see the use of natural remedies in less dire circumstances though!
I agree. I used to try to use only Bug Off Garlic and other more natural methods, but when Dillon presented with a bad flea bite allergy and was getting red rash all over his body from even just a flea bite or two, I knew I had to use something stronger. It wasn't fair for him to be miserable all the time because I was worried about the flea control chemicals hurting him later in life.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts