Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search here on the forum, have gone to the ProPlan website, and have searched the bag of food itself, and for whatever reason, I cannot seem to find how many calories there are in a cup of this food.
I know you are supposed to feed 10 calories for every pound you want your adult dog to weigh, so a 72 lb dog should eat 720 calories per day (average activity level-not performance dog).
Can someone help me?
ProPlan Adult kibble, All Life Stages, Chicken and Rice

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the past 16 months, I fed Brooks 2 slightly rounded cupfuls, so that is close to 1000 calories....and he has dropped from 94 to 72 lb. I was actually starting to increase how much I give him as he was looking almost too thin to me.
Is the 10 calories per pound of dog something other people find is accurate?

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
10 cals per pound is for weight loss. At ideal weight, they'd need much more ( at least mine do).

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't know that. Anyone know how much is for maintenance of the weight a dog is at?

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Resting energy requirement for a 70 pound dog is 937 kcal/day, for a 75 pound dog it's 987. Add a few more if he's pretty active.

Edit to add...that's a very good jumping off point, and then I would adjust the amount of food up or down, as you said, based on how the dog looks. I adjust Tito's food regularly, depending on his activity level. During hunt training season he loses weight if I don't up the food by about 1/2 cup per day.

Reactions: lgnutah

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
It is as variable as it is for humans. My Penny needs quite a bit less calories than her littermate sister Maggie. It may take some experimentation to determine the amount that is a good maintenance amount.....weigh often ( I was weighing weekly) until you find the amount that keeps them at an ideal weight.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
I got this info from Purina.

Purina Pro Plan brand Dog Food - Performance Formula - All Life Stages contains 493 calories per 8 oz. cup.

Purina Pro Plan brand Dog Food Sensitive Skin & Stomach Formula Adult Dog Food contains 419 calories per 8 oz. cup.

·
Banned
464 Posts
I didn't know that. Anyone know how much is for maintenance of the weight a dog is at?
There is no easy answer to this that is why you have to evaluate your dog. Look and feel is the only way.

The more protein you feed the more calories will be needed because about 30% of protein calories are lost during metabolism. The higher the fat, the less you need. Carbohydrates fall in the middle.

So you have to observe the animal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts