Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Been looking for a good quality dog seatbelt for a long time but still can't find one that works well for my golden. When she gets excited in the car she will stand up and the seatbelt harness will move to the side of her body because of the tension. I've tried the sleepypod as well and the issue is that it too stiff, as in that it pulls her towards the back of the seat, literally her front paws would be off the seat and in the air.

Any recommendations? I've tried the kurgo one as well, that one doesn't work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’m mostly a lurker here but have you tried the ”S-clip” that Sleepypod sells? It’s supposed to keep the seatbelt from locking up too short. I wouldn’t have known anything about it but I literally read a blog post about it this past afternoon. Weird, lol.

As far as the Kurgo, which have you tried? Is it just a tether? I have the Mighty Paw seatbelt tether, which snaps onto the car seat anchor and then you simply attach it to the back of a padded harness (preferably one rated as a car harness). It’s not as hardcore as the sleepypod but it’s better than having them loose. I took a 5 hour car-trip with my 7 year old boy and he did great. Gave him plenty of room to lay down without seriously restricting his movement. I now use it on my 4 month old for to and from dog daycare or trading and he does great too. It’s this one.

Good luck! I hope you find what you’re looking for :smile2:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
We have been using the Sleepypod with the clip to keep the seatbelt from retracting. It has worked great and we haven’t had any issues. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
777 Posts
I used a Champion Canine Seat Belt System for my Golden and for my Cavalier King Charles. It's a harness and the tether strap looks like a seatbelt, but even thicker. He used it all of his life and it worked fine for many road trips. I haven't found it anywhere but on the website which is USA K9 Outfitters. It's very sturdy and he was fully comfortable to stand up or sit down. He stepped right into it like a pro. I attached it to a latched seatbelt.

This is a youtube of a lady demonstrating it:

I have an SUV, so I put the seats down and give my dogs the entire back space of the car. I bought a carpet made specifically for my model car to cover the space where there's a crack between the seats and the back bed.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hi all,

Been looking for a good quality dog seatbelt for a long time but still can't find one that works well for my golden. When she gets excited in the car she will stand up and the seatbelt harness will move to the side of her body because of the tension. I've tried the sleepypod as well.

I’ve started to look again for a car harness that won’t pull to the side as well. Also she’s pulled out of a harness in the past but it was a cheap one. Im embarrassed to say I’ve been driving to the park n Petsmart with her free in the backseat and I can’t, in good conscience, do this anymore, God forbid I stop short or an accident n she gets hurt. Just to be clear u r looking for a harness? Goin to follow this thread- I did post about this when my girl was a baby n gonna check that again-best wishes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
628 Posts
I used a Champion Canine Seat Belt System for my Golden and for my Cavalier King Charles. It's a harness and the tether strap looks like a seatbelt, but even thicker.

This look like it goes on nice n easy! My concern is that the chest protector area doesn’t cover chest much, this is ok with just a line down chest ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This look like it goes on nice n easy! My concern is that the chest protector area doesn’t cover chest much, this is ok with just a line down chest ?

I got the same question!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have been using the Sleepypod with the clip to keep the seatbelt from retracting. It has worked great and we haven’t had any issues. Good luck in your search!
Ah ok. When I used it (I don't have it anymore, I returned it) i found that there is no front attachment for the leash so even if I got the clip, she would pull like crazy since there is no front attachment. Attaching it at the neck area causes her to choke. Thanks tho

·
Registered
777 Posts

I got the same question!
It's 2.5" wide and is padded on the interior. I took photos, but remember this was used about eight years so it served us well. I need to give it a bit of a cleaning. It isn't frayed any and very sturdy. He always seemed secure when I hooked him into it. A person's seatbelt isn't much wider than that is it? I was in a wreck in someone else's car once and the person in the front seat had a bruise across her body from the seatbelt, but it prevented her from flying through the windshield. It's important not to become a human or canine projectile.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks for the photosyes I can see what u are saying - is that front piece padded

·
Registered
628 Posts
I used a Champion Canine Seat Belt System for my Golden and for my Cavalier King Charles. It's a harness and the tether strap looks like a seatbelt, but even thicker. .

I have a 65lb golden retriever n was wondering if maybe I should be looking at the extended longer tether combo -“The SURVIVOR Restraint Strap uses a real seat belt adjuster buckle and adjusts in length from 6-28" for ultimate versatility and range of movement control. (the M-XL CHAMPION System adjusts about 10 to 20").”{i copied from their website}

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have a 65lb golden retriever n was wondering if maybe I should be looking at the extended longer tether combo -“The SURVIVOR Restraint Strap uses a real seat belt adjuster buckle and adjusts in length from 6-28" for ultimate versatility and range of movement control. (the M-XL CHAMPION System adjusts about 10 to 20").”{i copied from their website}

I have the restraint strap. It came with it. I kept it at its shortest setting because I figured that would be less distance for him to be slung around if we were in an accident. He could stand and lay.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have the restraint strap. It came with it. I kept it at its shortest setting because I figured that would be less distance for him to be slung around if we were in an accident. He could stand and lay.

I was going to try to order it but I see that the website is not secured?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts