Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating getting a 2-year old Golden but can't decide if it's too early for my 18-month old daughter to be around him. He's been around small children with his current owners but is 18 months old too young???

·
Kate
20,617 Posts
It depends on the level of monitoring and oversight that you are willing to commit to.

To a certain extent, I would not be leaving a kiddo under 7 alone or unwatched with any dog. There should be a no-touch/no-go unless you are right there with the child and the dog.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
With small children at that age you have to make sure you supervise at all times because accidents can happen so fast. Children at that age can pull a ear, tail, stick a finger in an eye or just play a little rough and the dog lashes out to protect himself. It is nothing against the children they just dont understand as a dog doesnt understand either not to take stuff from little kids if they are walking with a cookie most of the time. It can be just tempting. So you have to be on alert. Not saying it cant be done, you have to think about it. But if I had to choose between a puppy and full grown dog, I would take a full grown dog.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My best friend has an 18 month old. And my puppy is 6 months old. We've been bringing the puppy around her daughter almost since I got him, because I wanted my dog to be used to and good with kids and she wants her daughter to be used to and not afraid of dogs. That being said, you cannot leave the two alone for one second. My dog is good with kids and has never put his teeth on her, only licked, but she needs reassurance when the dog is awake, because he is so excited by people, period, no matter their size. If he's sleeping she'll pet him all day long lol. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but it will be very, very tiring for a while.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 3 year old and a nearly 5 month old puppy.

It is a constant battle to keep Timmy (our LO) off of the dog. But the dog handles it wonderfully, and handles everything he does (Pulling ears, tail, snout, etc) in stride. He hasn't growled at him since we got him 3 weeks ago, which I am surprised, but extremely pleased with. That being said, I think the most important thing to know at this point is how well the dog does around kids. You say he has been around them at his current owner, but is there anyway you can go and observe for yourself how well he does?

As long as you keep their interaction to a controlled environment, I don't see a big issue. We have it set up that we can keep our dog in the kitchen and block off the doorways with baby gates. This way he has space to run around and have access to his water and toys, but also keep our 3 year old from having unlimited access to him. This is only temporary and I do intend to eventually allow him to have full access to the lower level of our house, but for now, I cannot and will not allow full access til I can trust that A. My son will not annoy and abuse the crap out of him and B. That Dozer will not chew up things he is not supposed to (I.E. Timmy's toys)

I kinda went off into a tangent there, sorry! But I do love the fact that you are looking into rescuing/saving an older dog! And I do feel that as long as proper supervision is provided, than you should be alright. Timmy also is exposed to a 3 year old Golden quite often at our babysitters. He lets Timmy do whatever he wants and doesn't blink an eye. Seeing Timmy interact with Blaze, really set my mind at ease with my husband wanting to get a Golden of our own. Timmy has been regularly around Blaze since he was about 20 months old.

One question though... Has the dog had any formal obedience training? That could really make a difference!

·
Registered
44 Posts
We have a 13 month old Golden and two young children aged 4 and 6. When we got our puppy my youghest daughter was 3 and she has formed a wonderful bond with our dog. That said, it still is a struggle to ensure that no kids toys (or socks, crocks, swimsuits,etc) are left lying on the ground. Although Bosco has his own doggy toys which he loves, the girls toys seem to be just too good to resist for him :)
It means constant surpervision, tyding up, etc.

We often have a 18 month old boy visiting us and our dog is extremely patient with him. But..... The added problem of a 18 month old child is that you have to watch the boy from putting the dog toys in his mouth! It certainly keeps life interesting though!

Having a child grow up with a golden retriever is wonderful in my opinion, but be prepared!

·
War Eagle!
312 Posts
As long as you supervise all interaction, I think it'll be fine. I've been around goldens since I was crawling on all fours. I can tell you that our 5.5 month old Golden is an absolute angel around small children. She's spent plenty of time around my nieces & nephews (ranging from 3 months old to 10 years old) and it's almost creepy how Isabel seem to instinctively know how to act around each child.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback. If I do get the dog, I would definitely start obedience training. Now the only hurdle I have is convincing my husband!

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I agree, it depends on you, the dog, your husband, and your daughter. You need a dog with the right temperment and you need to be committed to supervising them or keeping them separated when you cannot. Obedience training will be very helpful. Good luck! Let us know how it goes! Maybe you can take your daughter to meet the dog before your take it home to see how that goes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish we could go visit the dog but they live far away and it would require an expensive plane ride. They will be coming here next month so I guess they could bring the dog and we could all get together and see how it goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts