Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry. I need to whine/vent for a moment. All I want for Christmas is a healthy animal. Just one. PLEASE!!!

Our Boxer has a heart problem. Rosie the GR has hip dysplasia, eye problems, and cancer. All that is crazy enough. Now our diabetic cat's pee is blood tinged. I already have a vet appointment scheduled for first thing Saturday morning for Rosie and will call them tomorrow to see if I need to bring the cat right away or just bring her then. Hopefully it's as simple as a UTI, but darn, can we catch a break?

Have I mentioned that the cat is not nice? Yeah, not at all. Frankly, she's been nicknamed "the witch" and "couch cougar" for a reason. I may lose an eyeball trying to give her medicine.

I envy everyone that has healthy animals and only goes to the vet once a year.

Okay, I'm done now. Thank you and I'm sorry. Ughh!

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Vent away. I'm sorry everyone is so unwell right now. Am sending many healing thoughts and strength.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Wow, you are dealing with a lot. A cancer diagnosis alone sent my stress levels to uber hyper levels. Please vent away. I'm so sorry. I hope they can treat the cat and take some of that burden away from you, even though dosing with antibiotics may send you to the ER.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
OMGosh, that is a lot to have to deal with. I can only offer sympathy and prayers that you get your Christmas wish.

Have you tried wrapping the cat completely in a large bath towel? Leave only her head sticking out. It helps if you can have another person hold the bundled up cat. Then you have 2 free hands.

Again, I feel for you. Your husband is deployed, isn't he? A lot to deal with.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Monarch's Joy

Monarch's Joy

My heart goes out to you. Seems that they always get sick together.
I will pray you get your Christmas Wish.
Praying you don't have to bring the cat in at same time as your doggy.
That's a great suggestion Penny's Mom made about wrapping Couch Cougar in a towel!

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,581 Posts
I'm so sorry you have so much you are dealing with right now. Sending healing thoughts and wishes your way for your furry companions.

And yes, I am very thankful and also grateful mine are healthy. I also realize how lucky I am that they are.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
If it is a UTI (and diabetics are prone to them), see if your vet carries the antibiotic Convenia. It's one injection that lasts two weeks. It's on the expensive side, but way cheaper than losing an eyeball!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I also have an evil cat who tries to take my hand off anytime I've had to pill her. Fortunately, she's a pig who loves to eat, so I can pill her using Pill Pockets. You may want to pick some up from the pet store. Good luck!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everybody! I'm just having a moment. I love all of our animals and wouldn't trade them for the world. Every now and then I just wonder why we're the ones running a pet hospital and if we're just REALLY unlucky or if there's some reason for all of this.

We found out our Boxer (my husband's dog when I met him) had a type of cardiomyopathy specific to Boxers a few years ago. Ever since it's been 2 types of human heart meds 2x per day, low stress, cardiology visits every 6 months and as needed, and regular Holter monitors and echocardiograms. Then there's the weird seizure like episodes she started having 2 years ago. We still haven't figured those out. Oddly the low stress part is what causes the biggest stress for us because that means only light exercise (we love outdoor sports) and no kenneling. Going out of town or even away for a night is a major challenge. When we finally took a vacation earlier this year we ended up flying my sister in from Phoenix... Moving to GA last year added to the drama because the nearest cardiologist is 4 hours away. The Army asked us for five choices of where we wanted to go... GA was not on that list!

Then there's Rosie. She was my rescue before I met my husband. We all thought she was healthy until pretty soon after I brought her home. I knew she had a behavior problem that needed work. It was clear pretty quickly that she also has anxiety issues. Then we discovered she has some pretty nasty hip dysplasia made worse by being hit by a car in her former home. Then hypothyroid. Then the first uveal cyst developed... then more... then a cataract. Now cancer.

Enter the cat. Two days after my 20-year old cat died, someone found the current cat in a junk pile and asked us to watch her for the weekend. That was 4 years ago. I'm still waiting for them to come back and pick her up, but oddly haven't heard from them ;) She was diagnosed as a diabetic 1 year ago. She really has an "interesting" cat personality. She stalks our poor Boxer, conducts drive by maulings if you're not paying attention, and then proceeds to purr at a volume of 10 and rub all over you 5 minutes later. We regularly discuss the fact that you cannot swipe people in the face and then expect them to pet you a minute later?!? Thus far she hasn't listened. Our dog walker calls her Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide, which is a perfect description.

My husband is not deployed at the moment but has been out of town on a "business trip" for the past few weeks. Thankfully he comes home tonight. I hope he's wearing his Superman cape because we're going to need it!!!

I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed and appreciate everyone letting me verbalize that! Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I love the idea of an injectable antibiotic and will ask the vet about that. Her diabetes needs some attention too at the moment, so it's probably good that all of this is happening. She's otherwise fine and has been being her usual evil self this morning. I just hope that one of these days I can do the stuff I've dreamed about with a healthy pack. I really want to work in hunt and obedience with a dog. I have a plan, but getting there is always the hard part :)

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Monarchs Joy

Monarchs Joy

So glad your hubby is coming home and you have a "knack," for writing!
I hope you don't min, I got a few chuckles out of your posts!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts