Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Has a Golden of yours passed away do to cancer?

• Passed away do to some form of cancer.

Votes: 78 88.6%
  • Passed away from other health conditions.

Votes: 25 28.4%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There has been some long threads on cancer. If you had a Golden die from any cancer would you vote in this, and if you had a Golden die from something else, please also vote. Let's see how great a percentage we have. Sorry but I seem unable to make this into a simple poll, or even delete it.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
up above the post...it says "thread tools"....i think in there you can add a poll...

anyway...my golden died from cancer

·
where the tails wag
13,369 Posts
My King died of liver cancer (type unknown) at 14 1/2 years old

My Rowdy died of aspiration pneumonia at 12 1/2 following tie-back surgery for Laryngeal Paralysis

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
Sophie, at the age of 3, died from cancer.

·
Kate
21,429 Posts
I don't see a poll yet, but will check off the options when the mods put it in for you -

I would have 1 (no) and 2 (yes).

Charmy died from renal failure. By the time we knew, he was already only living on 1 kidney and dying. He'd just turned 6. Based on what I found when I tried contacting his breeder and some other people who bought his littermates, I think it was something hereditary like renal dysplasia. He had been showing clear symptoms since he was a puppy (disinterest in eating and repeated bladder infections) and since he was at least 3 or 4 (reluctance to exercise, disinterest in eating, coat changes, hair loss, weight loss, etc).... but we had no idea. By the end, he could not eat or drink... and he was so thirsty. I remember his last night he would drink a little and immediately vomit it back up. :(

Sammy was 13 when he stopped eating the week after Thanksgiving. We thought it was pancreatitis and were treating him for that when his spleen ruptured. He died the first week in December.

A year and a half later Danny stopped eating. Once again, pancreatitis was suggested, they kept him for observation and fluids that morning and then sent him home. My mom and I saw him looking very uncomfortable that evening and rushed him back to the vet for an ultrasound. His spleen hadn't ruptured, but it was the size of a melon and had to come out. He had a blood clot following the surgery and died.

·
Administrator
16,473 Posts
Poll has been added and you may select more than answer for those that have and more than one Golden pass away.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Smooch

My sweet female Golden Retriever, Smooch, at the age of 11 1/2 years old, went to the Rainbow Bridge on December 7, 2010-she either had hemangiosarcoma or lymphoma.

We also lost our male Samoyed, Snobear, to hemangiosarcoma, on March 27, 2010, at the age of 10.

·
where the tails wag
13,369 Posts
I think it might be by respondants.

100% say at least 1 dog from cancer while 33% also had a golden die of other causes.

I think the comments could end up helpful :)

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I have had 6 goldens, 2 currently alive and well.
Two died from cancer (age 15 and 11) and 2 from other causes at age 12.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
50/50 Deardra did not, it was Myasthenia Gravis at approx age 10 (rescue birth date unknown), Tucker yes, nasal cancer 13yrs 3months.

·
Registered
510 Posts
My first golden died 2 days before her 5th Birthday from Auto Immune Hemolytic Anemia. Possibly caused by over vaccinating.

Our 2nd Golden died from Lymphoma at the age of 10. We lost her 2 weeks after she was diagnosed.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
This is a sad thread but the ultimate reality of having loved and lost a dear furry friend.
My first Golden, Cassie, died suddenly of unknown causes in my living room at the age of 14.5 years. She had a happy life until the end.
Beau, my rescue boy survived 2 cancers, mast cell tumors and melanoma and 2 years later was gently put to rest due to a third cancer, osteosarcoma, at the young age of 9 years.

Having known these two has brought joy and companionship beyond compare to my home.

I, currently, have two Goldens, Baylee, who is almost 10 and Baxter, my wild child at 2. May they have a long and happy and cancer free life!

·
Registered
427 Posts
My first golden, Kermit, was put to sleep following a stroke at 12 1/2. Charlie died, most likely from a brain tumor, at 4. The only canine neurologist in Maine was on vacation at the time and we did not have an autopsy. Reuben was pts from old age at 14 yrs., 7 mos last September. He was the pup we thought we'd lose at a young age as he had a benign tumor in his chest at 2, an oozing sore on his ear at 4 that looked like a mast cell but wasn't and a severe case of erlichiosis at 8. Somehow he got through all of this and lived a long, wonderful life.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry, were I better at making polls maybe you could vote more than once, but someone had to fix it as it is, and I thank them for that. Sally's mom posted something about 60% or something like that dying from cancer in some study she had read. Just was doing this unscientific poll to see

1 - 20 of 53 Posts