Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. FACT. Canidae has never had a recall. Do your own research on the FDA site--don't take my word for it.
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/

2. FACT. Canidae is recommended as a whole food by WholeDog Journal.
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/

Subscribe and you'll have a reputable independent source of info.

3. FACT. Canidae is a 5-star food on dog food analysis.com.
Nutrient analysis is posted clearly, unlike some other brands.

Stick to FACTS. Don't flame a company because it was read on a blog or forum that could be run by a 14 year old boy in their basement or an adult with an axe to grind.

There are many good foods out there, Canidae is just one. But stick with whole foods--don't fall into the trap of giving your loved one by products of sugar, husks, snouts, innards, and scraps. Trust the ingredient analyses of independent verifiers, not some internet rumor that has zero credibility.

Notice I didn't say anything about how healthy our Golden is--and commented on by 2 different vets for her tone, shine, and beutiful skin and teeth. Because you need to research for yourself and trust FACTS, not my personal anecdote.

Also important: check the calcium and phosphorous content on foods for Goldens--big contributor to dysplasia. Stay low on Calcium (Canidae is about 1.2%, which is low--some brands are at 2%--I'd stay below 1.5%).

Get FACTS, and take care of the greatest breed out there!

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I had my dogs on it for a few years until this past year when they did changes, my dogs got sick and I will never go back to Canidae

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I loved Canidae for my two. They were on it for a number of years. I did have to make a switch after they changed their formula. They're doing better on a different brand now, but I was one of their biggest supporters for a number of years. I'd go back if they would go back to their old formula. I can't even remember what the change was. I just saw a slight issue and switched. It's just like when I eat something that makes my blood sugar go high and it doesn't do the same to someone elses. I react and adjust!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I personally have used Canidae for all my dogs for over 10 years. I couldn't say enough good things about it and I still think it's an excellent food. That being said, for my dog, once there was a formula change we had some issues. Thankfully nothing super serious, but Banner had dry flaky skin, hot spots, shedding, and ear infections. My opinion is that it is probably the millet and barley for him because those were the only two ingredients that haven't been part of any food I fed on a regular basis. Honestly I would think seriously about going back if the original formula was available but I respect the fact that each company has the right to adjust sometimes and do what's best for them. Just as I respect that each person has the right to adjust and do what's right for them. We all care about our dogs here and try to do what's best, we joined a forum dedicated to them. Hopefully we can learn more about you and your Golden.

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
I find it rather funny that you say don't flame a company because of something you read on a blog, then you site a website which is just a bunch of people with NO FORMAL NUTRITION BACKGROUND, as an authority!
"....The ratings given and comments made about the foods assessed on this site and ingredients listed are the opinion of the Editors, who are a small team of volunteers each with a long standing interest in dog nutrition...." (from dogfoodanalysis.com)
They give high ratings to foods that have never even been tested on dogs...hmmm....I personally disagree with their OPINIONS, which is what they are careful to state that they are. But that's just my OPINION, the AAFCO testing procedure isn't that difficult, I wouldn't feed my dog anything that's never been tested on dogs. JMO.
As far as "whole dog journal", on what do you base your comment that they are a "reputable independent source of info."? There are, in fact a few reputable websites (for example, petdiets.com) which are run by people who are in fact educated in the field in which they claim to be experts, and who aren't trying to sell a magazine, a dog food, or any other product. If the "opinion" is not from a CERTIFIED VETERINARY NUTRITIONIST (there are about 30 in the USA) then it's nothing more than opinion. We are each entitled to our own opinion.
That said, I agree with you 100%. GET FACTS. Don't listen to some blog or anecdote about some food that worked for someone else. Feed what works for your own dogs, and what you can AFFORD to feed. Let's face it, not everyone can afford the higher end foods. So be it. Do the best you can for your dog, with the resources you have available, and the knowledge that you have been able to gather.
My own goldens do wonderfully on Purina Pro Plan. One is 12 years old, one 11 (now on a prescription diet). Always been healthy with shiny coats, never had ear infections, etc. I also board a lot of goldens, and a lot of them eat Purina Pro Plan and do great on it. One that's here right now will be 14 in July, eats Pro Plan, and acts 6 or 7.
But does that mean Pro Plan is the ideal food for goldens? Of course not, that would be a ludicrious statement.
Oh, one other FACT....THREE of my customers that I know of for sure, there may be more, with 5 dogs between them, have taken their dogs off of Canidae within the past 6 months due to digestive problems. Does that mean Canidae is a bad food? Of course not. It just means that for these FIVE dogs, it wasn't working. If you want to know, 2 were labs, 2 were goldens, 1 a mixed breed.

1. FACT. Canidae has never had a recall. Do your own research on the FDA site--don't take my word for it.
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/

2. FACT. Canidae is recommended as a whole food by WholeDog Journal.
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/

Subscribe and you'll have a reputable independent source of info.

3. FACT. Canidae is a 5-star food on dog food analysis.com.
Nutrient analysis is posted clearly, unlike some other brands.

Stick to FACTS. Don't flame a company because it was read on a blog or forum that could be run by a 14 year old boy in their basement or an adult with an axe to grind.

There are many good foods out there, Canidae is just one. But stick with whole foods--don't fall into the trap of giving your loved one by products of sugar, husks, snouts, innards, and scraps. Trust the ingredient analyses of independent verifiers, not some internet rumor that has zero credibility.

Notice I didn't say anything about how healthy our Golden is--and commented on by 2 different vets for her tone, shine, and beutiful skin and teeth. Because you need to research for yourself and trust FACTS, not my personal anecdote.

Also important: check the calcium and phosphorous content on foods for Goldens--big contributor to dysplasia. Stay low on Calcium (Canidae is about 1.2%, which is low--some brands are at 2%--I'd stay below 1.5%).

Get FACTS, and take care of the greatest breed out there!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Debles--that's downright silly. I provided independent sites--one is a reputed holistic journal and the other the FDA. Dog Food Analysis is OK as a start.

Feed whatever you want. I personally think Canidae is trying to change its product line to remain profitable. It's tough when cheap suppliers dry up due to recalls. So then here comes grain free. But what's it missing? Economic feasibility. Their prior products were good quality (not the best IMO, but absolutely high value) but they found it difficult to maintain profit at the same price point. So, formula change.

I'm not disputing that. My comment was I won't begin feeding Beneful or Science Diet because Canidae began affecting my dog due to a possible allergy.

I think they could have managed this better--PR campaign to inform its loyal customers. A gradual change could have helped...just the same way not to switch foods abruptly. But too late for that.

Kimm's response was completely logical. And I hope everyone's pooches do well on whatever food they eat. But gosh don't feed them scraps and sugar...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hotel4dogs,

I agree. That's why I listed DFA website as "OK as a start". But are you implying WDJ is not reputable? The founder is quite independent.

Bless your Goldens.

Certainly, as with all things in nature, there is no guarantee of linear, binary relationships for cause-effect. That is, one person's lethal radiation dose may be OK for someone else. Or all those cheeseburgers my friend eats may leave them living to 100 while my brown rice and lentils leave me dead at 50.

I don't disparage your choice and appreciate your thoughtful, informed comment.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
FACT - if you're going to join a Web site to defend a product. A less adversarial tone of voice would be a good start.

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
I enjoy the WDJ, but some of the material isn't very well backed up with any science behind it. Just my background, I like clinical proof of pretty much everything, to an obnoxious point.
I totally agree with your comment about there not being any binary relationships for cause-effect. Too many people miss that. I also often say, "what's your control group"? Same principle. It annoys the heck out of me when people apparently think that, for example, since someone else ate yogurt and lived to be 100 years old, all you will have to do is eat yogurt and you, too, will live to be 100. Ah, marketing at its best...
Cheers!

hotel4dogs,

I agree. That's why I listed DFA website as "OK as a start". But are you implying WDJ is not reputable? The founder is quite independent.

Bless your Goldens.

Certainly, as with all things in nature, there is no guarantee of linear, binary relationships for cause-effect. That is, one person's lethal radiation dose may be OK for someone else. Or all those cheeseburgers my friend eats may leave them living to 100 while my brown rice and lentils leave me dead at 50.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Thanks for this thread you have helped clear up a mystery. I have two Goldens and a JRT. I have been feeding Canidae for some time now to the big guys. A few months ago, I switched Twister over so I wasn't buying different foods. Last month, Twister started developing hot spots. I thought it was due to stress (I had to go out of town for a week) and they happened while I was gone. I have been gone several times in his 6 years and this is the first time something like this happened. I thought putting him on Canidae would be good as it isn't as high a protein as the Pro Plan I was feeding he sheds terribly on the higher protein levels. He does best on Benefil so guess its back to two brands, but thanks for clearing this up for me.

Laura
(I have always fed Pro Plan up until I got Dooley, he doesn't like it and will go without eating for days when I fed it, so I made the switch. He eats Canidae much better and Trip doesn't care what he eats, he's such a goat!)

·
Registered
339 Posts
hotel4dogs,

Bless your Goldens.

Brown rice and lentils:yuck:!! That would leave me dead in a month... from STARVATION!!!:vomit:

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
I have 6 dogs, all of them eat Canidae ALS. I was very happy with it in the past but have not been so happy with it recently. I'm planning on changing to something else but have not decided what I'm switching to yet. I would like to go to a raw diet but haven't figured out how I would be able to separate them at feeding time.

Sandie, welcome to the forum. Why don't you come introduce yourself and your dog(s) so we can get to know you on a different level. This is a pretty friendly forum and so far the only topics that have created this kind of heat are the "breeding" threads.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The dog food merry go round debate. Kind of like politics and religion, always sure to get lots of different opinions. No one dog food is good for all dogs. And you don't have to spend a fortune on a high end food to feed your dogs well. Find what works and stick with it. If your dog looks and feels good, is active and at a healthy weight, stay with what you are feeding.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I started feeding Magic Canidae about a year ago. I loved it and she did so well on it. We tried the new formula but she kept having loose stools and lots of gas. It just didn't work out for us unfortunately.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I changed my dog over to the Canidae senior because my vet recommended something with less protein because of his health issues. One bag was fine and the next was all full of worms and bugs. It had a far expiration date on it. Just made. So that changed my mind right away. It took me months to get rid of all the bugs and I had to get rid of alot of stuff in my pantry.

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
I'm not a fourteen year old boy. I've had 16 dogs on Canidae for years and they did great on it. When they changed their formula....my dogs didn't respond well. I tried for 2 months. No go. I don't use it anymore. I also wrote to the company asking some questions about the formula change. I got no response, which was unusual. So I tried again...no response again. So something else changed the same time Canidae did....their customer service.

Also...the calcium/phosphorus ratio IS important....for growing puppies. Once they're adults (say after 2 yrs), their bones/joints are formed, and upping those ratios isn't a problem.

Oh and BTW...Canidae hasn't had any recalls, but the NEW plant/manufacturer who processes and makes their food has...Diamond. (Which doesn't matter one whit to me, because when I switched foods, I switched to Taste of the Wild...by Diamond.)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts