Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Catalina: Maya's mom!
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I've been a little busy decorating the house, but I finally finished the tree!
Well... It's not a tree-tree... we don't really have tree farms or stuff mailnly because climate doesn't really help them grow. So we have a fake one, but we love it.

Yesterday we had a traditional night we have in Colombia called "noche de las velitas" (candle night). Usually the night of December 7th every house lights candles on their door/porch/garage and then people go walking around the block to see other people's candles. What does that represent? wish I could tell you, but every time I ask I get a different version. Some say it's to guide Mary's path to Bethlehem, others say it's the light of the Holidays... I just think its a celebration to welcome the holidays.

Well, this day is also the day in which the tree is decorated (but the way things are going, most people have their tree ready by November 1st, which freaks me out)...

I want to share some pictures with you of our Candle Day. Be patient, they're heavy but worth watching ;). Some of my pictures were taken with my cellphone, because the camera's battery was dying...

That's my block

Candles of a house nearby

A little bit of "Holiday Glamour"..

While we were decorating... yes, we put beanie babies on the tree, and no, we don't put barbies, that one's my niece's.

Me... lighting up more candles

Julian, my boyfriend... and Maya wanting to help

"HMM.... What's that?"

Dog meets fire.... no one got hurt. She just got an inch closer till she decided it was better to stay away.

She decided it was better to wait by the deer.

"Ok... this is boorinnnng"

Julian and I

Maya and the tree (this morning when I got batteries for the camera)

The tree!

Right... I owe you a nice picture of the house with holiday lights... Hope I can take it tonight or tomorrow night.

Happy Holidays, everone, hope you enjoyed our pictures!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Happy holidays! Your candle night sounds like fun, getting to walk around and see everyone's lights. Your tree looks a little like mine--I have some stuffed animal ornaments, and my dog Charlie Brown must think it's an all you can eat buffet! He'll go over and grab one off the tree and take it back to the couch to sit down. I hope Maya has more self control than Charlie does :)

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Neat!! I can't believe you can put stuffed animals on the tree and not have them slowly taken down one by one by a happy doggie :) Mine would have them all off the tree in no time!!

·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maya takes the toys when they're on the floor, once she sees them in the tree she knows to stay away...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
'Candle Night' looks likes lots of fun and is beautiful. Your trees is awesome, love the idea of stuffed animals in the tree. I'm with missmarstar and my guys would have them gone one by one even two by two!! Buzz loved all the 'balls' on our tree last year and helped himself to a few.
Great pictures.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Candle night sounds like something they do in my brothers small town. The historic section all puts out lumanaries lining the sidewalk and the house. Your tree and Maya look beautiful.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Great pictures!! It's so nice to see Christmas traditions from all around the world...

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
Nice pics! And the candle ceremony sounds like a nice tradition. Maya is a sweetheart! Thanks for sharing the pics.

·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What a great tradition. Your dogs look to enjoy the night also.
Yeah!

Actually dogs also enjoy the night because it's a bonus walk around the block they get. But it can be a little crazy... there are some dogs that aren't as bright, and get burns trying to eat the candles, but its mainly their "not as smart" owner's fault, 'cause they let them walk off leash and don't have a clue of what their dog is doing.

It also gets crazy because malls nearby have fireworks which make some dogs nervous. That night a French Poodle came running out of no where and attacked Maya for no reason. Maya tried to fight back but as soon as I told her to "leave it" she ignored the poodle completely (Yay!... she got over her small-dog-issue!)
No one was hurt.... I got the "Why do you walk such a big dog without a muzzle" speech, I gave the old lady the "why do you let your little monster out without a LEASH?" answer. Then everyone walking by told her that Maya wasn't attacking or anything while the little thing was still barking at a distance... At the moment I got really upset (it's not fair they always blame it on the big dog) but now I just laugh at the whole situation.

Anyway, besides from the incident, we had a lot of fun. Maya even got to play soccer in the park with some kids, she got treats from other dog owners and was greeted by kids walking by ... and lets be honest, goldens love being the center of attention...

Thanks for your answers, everyone, it's nice to share some holiday traditions, hoping to see you someday enjoying them here ;)

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I love the 3rd picture. Maya looks so beautiful, as if she is posing for the photo. Thanks for sharing the candle pics and your tree.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
your tree is beautiful...but would last maybe a minute in my house with all those "toys" on them. Noah and Scout would not know what to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts