Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
C Lo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

We just lost our 2 1/2 yr old male Golden to Lymphoma. We are devastated and seriously considering not getting another Golden but another breed. Our breeder has been wonderful and offered us another pup for any other litter. Our pup came from parents that had all the clearances and the breeder is very reputable. Has anyone else experienced a loss in such a young pup and tried again? We are conflicted about what to do as our little guy was an amazing boy.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,262 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I am so very sorry for your loss of your boy.

Although I know Cancer occurs in Goldens and in many other Breeds as well, I will always have a Golden. I love the breed that much that it's worth the chance for me.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I have never personally lost a Golden at such a young age, but I did have one that made me question sticking with the breed. I had a female that had cancer, and many other issues that came with it. To be honest I spent a fortune on her and constantly questioned her quality of life. My husband and son decided they wanted another dog. I was very set against it. I didn't even go with them to look at the litter. They brought me home a 10 week old Golden male. I fell immediately in love with him. My female was still living, so he was an addition. In his first 7 years of life he never had a single unscheduled vet visit, not even an ear infection. I've owned Golden's for many years and my very first one, Remington, was the one I measured all Golden's by. Duke, the one they brought home against my will, is now the one I find myself measuring all Golden's by. He is 9 years old now and is showing his age. He is having health issues now, but I can't imagine my life for the last 9 years without him.

He restored my faith in the breed I love. I have decided that health issues or not I'm a Golden owner. I was at the vet yesterday with Duke and with all of his problems he had hip x-rays done and they were still good, his heart is good, no cancer. He is challenging for me right now, but my vet even commented on what an amazing guy he's been. I'm just hoping for a few more amazing years. If I don't get them it's okay, he's made my life better.

It's a hard decision to make but my other choice was a German Shepherd and I have since learned they have at least as many health issue as Golden's, and so do labs. (My son owns labs)

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I'm very sorry for the loss of your dog.

This is a difficult and personal decision. I too lost a Golden to cancer; she was 8 years old at the time and had never been ill in her life until she collapsed and was diagnosed with inoperable cardiac hemangiosarcoma. I went from having a magnificent, healthy dog - an agility partner of a lifetime - to having no dog at all within the space of five days. It was, to put it mildly, awful. It took me a year to get another dog, and during that time I progressed from not wanting another dog at all, to not wanting another Golden, to "well, maybe", and finally to bringing home my new Golden pup. He'll be four years old in December, and I'm so glad he's in my life. He hasn't replaced my last dog, but he's forged his own space in my heart.

I will say that I look at him sometimes and wonder however I will bear it if the same thing happens to him. I think he's worth the risk, though. We're having a blast and I can't imagine life without him.

Only you will know what is the right choice for you and I wish you all the best, whatever you decide.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Like the others, I too am sorry for your loss.

Nellie made it to 14. She had PU, was blind, and nasal cancer finally got her.
Henry was about 8, osteo sarcoma got him.
Giggles also about 7, lymphoma got her.
Barkley about 8, Chemodectoma got him.
Pebbles will be 8 in Feb, she is doing great.
Sandy will be 4 in Feb, also doing great.
Mr. B just turned 4 and doing great.
All are/were from excellent Golden Retriever breeders.

My next dog will be a Golden.

·
Super Moderator
2,468 Posts
To reprise what other members have said. There is no predicting. How sad to lose your golden so young. I lost Cirrus at 6, which was devastating, but then Hudson lived until 12 and hopefully Oscar will stick around for long time. The loss of each one of our dogs was softened by a new golden in our lives. We are working with our integrative vet to do the best we can to have Oscar on a diet that is preventative in terms of illness. Other than that we enjoy him every day!

·
C Lo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks to all of you that are responding. It is a hard decision, but feel life without a Golden isn't a life at all. Our Bodhi was the light of our life for the short time he was here. We have a female that is almost 10 and has been a joy also, so don't want to say no more Goldens at this point in our life.

So appreciative of your comments and condolences...

·
Kristy
9,300 Posts
My heart goes out to you. The unfairness of cancer at age 2 is breathtaking.

I would be interested in a conversation with the breeder about longevity in the pedigree of the dog you just lost and also in the pedigree of any future litters she has planned. As much as you are broken by the loss of your puppy at age 2, a good breeder will absolutely be gutted by this news. She's the only one who cares as much as you do about the health of your dog. Has she discussed the health of the parents, how their siblings are doing, other puppies those siblings may have produced etc.? The answers to some of these questions might help you decide how you want to proceed. If you have any interest in that conversation , you can give someone here the registered names of the parents and we can help you look at it.

There is no magic crystal ball to give us answers on longevity and some breeders try harder than others to research this and make it part of their breeding decisions but there are just no guarantees. I have to think that if your breeder is trying to avoid early cancer in pedigrees she chooses, that you would probably be very safe to get another dog from her, the chances of this happening again, with the next dog being so young, would be slim. I know it's a risk, I'm just like the others here though, I can't live without a GOlden. I absolutely adore my collie, but he is NOT a Golden, the personality traits are very different. I will never try to switch breeds again. I will pray daily and celebrate getting to double digits as a huge win but I'll never be without a Golden. I wish you the best at trying to figure out what is right for your family. I am truly sorry for your heartbreak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our vet is concerned our 5 year old girl has Lymphoma. We're waiting for results and I'm beside myself. She's a golden mix, so I really felt we wouldn't have to be as worried about the high cancer risk associated with many of them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It seems that cancer hangs over our heads for our goldens and for our human loved ones. What an awful disease.

For me, I know that you cannot seek joy without sometimes getting heartache.
For me, a golden is a triple dose of joy (and a little bit of 'too smart for her britches'!).
I want that joy even after losing my last golden at age 1. Not cancer.

I agree, ask the questions and reduce the risk but do not give up the joy!
I do accept there are many awesome dogs that are not goldens, but I will still be all in for a golden every time.

Take care.

·
Ann
385 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. Heartbreaking especially at such a young age. We, too, lost our beloved Goldens to cancer and other diseases. We’ve had six, lost four: two died from cancer at age 5 and 10, one from kidney failure from Lyme at 4, and one from Cushing Disease at 10. We now have another Golden, Bear who’s 15 mos., that we got after learning that our beloved 10 year old had hemangiosarcoma. Bear is so loving and such a goofball and makes a laugh every day. As much as each loss was devastating, we cannot imagine our home without a Golden. Perhaps in time, you will feel differently. But whatever you decide, our thoughts and prayers are with you

Attachments

·
Penny & Twinkie's parents
237 Posts
How very sad... I'm so sorry to hear this. We also lost our 2 goldens to cancer (ages 5 and 6). It just isn't fair. Agnes

·
Registered
724 Posts
So, so sorry. I lost a golden 18 months ago to lymphosarcoma and it hit me like a bag of bricks. Albeit losing a dog under the age of 5 is absolutely gut wrenching. The most traumatic thing in my childhood was losing my 5 year old Labrador. Suspected hemangiosarcoma after losing a lab early too 8 years later.

My guess is your breeder doesn’t have puppies on the ground so take some time to decide what you want to do. Talk with them and ask questions. They have to be feeling gutted too.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I have lost four to cancer

One was eight years old, two were 12 years old, and my most recent one, Milo, was 10 years old.

The 5th one I lost due to complications from epilepsy

·
C Lo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for all your comments. After much contemplation we are going to get another Golden. Looking into the eyes of a Golden renews your spirit and gives you hope for a bright future. Our breeder just had a litter so we expect to have a Christmas baby in the house!

This forum is a wealth of info and glad I finally joined and look forward to reading up on all the Golden info.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Hi...i feel your pain. I lost my first golden girl at 3 years old to kidney failure. I've lost 3 to cancer. It's horrible and the pain is unbearable. I wasn't going to get another golden until I talked with my vet. I said I didn't want to go through the loss of another golden. She said she understood but she reminded me that all goldens need love and a good home and to remember that even the risk of losing one to cancer does not outweigh the joy, happiness and love that a golden brings into our lives. We all have to make the decision that is best for us. I knew my vet was right and i got another golden. Each of us only has today..there's no guarantee of tomorrow..so I live in the moment and enjoy each day one at a time and am thankful for everyday my golden is here bringing love and joy to our lives.
Again, you will make the decision that is best for you! My prayers are with you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh dear..... this is the most agonizing part about having Goldens. And that is why people are so adamant about their choices in dog food and care. What works for some doesn't work for all. And of course, every dog and his gene pool is different.

We now have 2 Goldens; numbers 6 and 7 in our lives. Numbers 1 - 5 all died of cancer, except for a female who lived until she was 16. She had mass cell cancer twice, but was able to overcome it. She eventually died of "old age" basically.

When my last male died, I didn't want another. He was so very special, and it broke our hearts. We did end up getting another male, who is now 10 almost 11. He too is so very special, I can't imagine a better dog. So, with each dog having their own special traits, I have discovered that for me, any pain connected with losing these wonderful animals is worth it. They are worth every tear we shed.

With my current 2, we tried to insure they had a lot of "forks in their trees", give them the best food we can, the best exercise we can, and they get constant love. (Yes, sometimes a little discipline :wink2: ) The only problem with my current 2 has been..... the vaccination issue. So we now titer our dogs so they don't get vaccinations they don't need.

My advice? If you really love the breed, dive in again. They are worth it. And truly, every breed has different health challenges.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We lost our golden In May at age 2.5 to a reaction to her seizure medication. My husband and daughter talked me into another in June. They did their research and found a breeder that did all available genetic testing with no indications of cancer in either sides lineage. That being said, illness can crop up at anytime and anywhere. While I miss our Piper girl terribly, our new pup Gemma has helped heal the hurt immensely. She is an amazing dog, very affectionate, and extremely trainable. Left to my own, I would have been dog free for quite some time as I was heartbroken. Thankfully my husband and daughter looked at it differently. I am still very sad and miss Piper so very much, but the tears don’t last as long as they used to and that is definitely due to Gemma. I would recommend switching breeders though because something is askew in their breeding lines.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts