Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my ignorance please. We are on a waiting list from a reputable breeder and I have a question about the line for a particular bitch who is pregnant currently. I see the bitchs father died of cancer (unknown) and I'm wondering if that would affect her current litter. I know it's a roll of the dice, but am wondering if I should pass on this pairing. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,836 Posts
We don’t have any idea what genes and environmental factors contribute to cancer in the breed, it’s a work in progress.
Take into account what age the bitch’s sire died as well. For me at least, dying of cancer at 15 vs 8 is pretty different.
Finally, look back and see if any of that dog’s siblings died of cancer and check siblings of dogs on the other side.
For me personally, it wouldn’t be a deal breaker just because it is such a roll of the dice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tagrenine! Lastly, how am I able to see if the siblings died? Again, forgive my ignorance.

·
the party's crashing us
4,326 Posts
"It depends"
Did he die of cancer at 15 or 5?
What kind of cancer?
Is there an observable trend of other dogs in this family of dying from the same type of cancer?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts