Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start with, I am a HUGE worry wart! I am a diagnosed hypochondriac, so that makes things hard. My puppy is 6 months old and such a happy go-lucky little guy. Unfortunately, he has had several (minor) infections in his short life. He goes to daycare (and has been going since 12 weeks old). We have now taken him out of daycare and he won't return until he's older (and has a better immune system). He had an upper respiratory infection 2 months ago (went away a few days after starting antibiotics), colitis, conjunctivitis and a belly rash 1 month ago (all went away a day or 2 after starting medication). 2.5 weeks ago he developed another upper respiratory infection (it went away 5 days after starting antibiotics, but the vet prescribed an entire month of it and we will finish it). His recent URI was more severe (he wasn't lethargic or anything like that... but had a ton of nasal discharge which the vet was concerned about) so we had to go for a re-check 2 weeks later (a week ago today).

During his re-check, the vet noticed a growth coming from his nail bed. We told the vet that the foot appears to hurt him when we wipe it off after coming inside. But he doesn't have any issues walking on it. The vet noticed that it bleeds a bit. She said it looks and feels just like a viral papilloma. She said it will also probably get worse before it gets better. She said obviously we can't know for sure what it is without a biopsy, but that's what she really thinks it is and what it looks like. I do trust the vet, but I am also a HUGE worry wart. She doesn't want to do a biopsy right now because she said the chance that it is anything harmful in a puppy that young is very low and cancer would be on the bottom of her list of things to check (this specific vet has a special interest in dermatology). She wants to just wait and see. And if it is still there by the time he gets neutered, then they will remove it (but that won't be for several more months). She said we could remove it sooner if it's really bugging him or gets infected; however, we cannot do it over the next few weeks because he is still getting over his URI (and sedation would be dangerous until we can be 100% sure that his lungs are fine... which we won't know until several weeks after his antibiotics finished to see if it returned).

Anyways, like I said, I'm a huge hypochondriac. I did lots of googling and I found that a wart in that specific area is basically unheard of. However, I read that things like mast cell tumors can grow out of the nail bed. The wart thing is very mobile and feels very... dry (almost like dead skin).

Anyways, can puppies get mast cell tumors? Anyone have experience with warts on the feet? I'm freaking out!

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 8.36.34 PM.png

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
I would suggest you wait and see. My CeeCee had a bump on her foreleg around 1 year old but we thought it was a fatty lipoma and were waiting and seeing if it grew. It was fine until it grew a bunch and ulcerated (opened and started bleeding); so we had it removed and it was biopsied at that time and was a benign lipoma like we thought. Can you do a needle aspiration? It's hit or miss on that end, imo, b/c it depends on what cells you manage to aspirate but it's the middle ground between "do nothing" and "cut it off to biopsy"

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
That's a strange area to get a pap in. I can tell it has bled. Paps are usually rounder that that looks like, and usually look like cauliflower heads.. and they are almost always around the lips or other mucus membranes. They do disappear on their own, worse before gone and then one day totally disappeared. The photo isn't great, but it kinda looks like a hyperkeritosis to me. But again, in the wrong place- typically that shows up on pads, and in older dogs.

Reactions: Peri29

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a strange area to get a pap in. I can tell it has bled. Paps are usually rounder that that looks like, and usually look like cauliflower heads.. and they are almost always around the lips or other mucus membranes. They do disappear on their own, worse before gone and then one day totally disappeared. The photo isn't great, but it kinda looks like a hyperkeritosis to me. But again, in the wrong place- typically that shows up on pads, and in older dogs.
It might be a bad photo (he doesn't like us looking at it), but the vet described his growth as looking like a cauliflower. She did say that, although they more commonly happen in the mouth, they can and do happen on the feet. However, what worries me is that it is coming from the nail bed. And everything I read online doesn't say anything about warts in nail beds. But the vet probably knows more than my 7 days of googling lol.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Have you considered a second VET'S opinion yet?
IF it is something like the "Big C"; it is better handled sooner rather than later, and only a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL can say for sure.
Some cancers have a nasty habit of spreading faster than other slow moving ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts