Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beloved golden retriever, Mango, was diagnosed with cancer at her 9 year old check-up last week. She had no symptoms and the vet said she looked great. Upon review of her full bloodwork, they saw that the red blood cell count was off and did an ultrasound which showed inoperable liver cancer. We are in shock and my two little girls were in tears as we broke the news. I cannot imagine a more loving, gentle best friend through these past 9 years. Just in the past week I've noticed a lot of panting (her only symptom now) and she's very thirsty. I feel so helpless watching her suffer. What now? Have any of you tried natural medicines like Artemisin? Is there anything else we can do to help prolong life and minimize suffering? Our wonderful vet said there's nothing we can do, but I'd like to feel like I'm at least trying. Have any of you experienced this and what did you do?

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
My heart goes out to you. My Max, who will be only three at the end of the month, got a bone cancer diagnosis yesterday. I am reeling. He is my heart and my life and I am devastated. I will do everything humanely possible to keep him going. Don't give up just yet. Prayers for you. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I am very sad to read about your girl. I hate cancer, and it has taken so many wonderful dogs from us. You can go see a holistic vet and he/she can help you find supplements that would be best for Mango. Other holistic treatments, such as acupuncture or chiropractic work may help with pain. Most important of all, enjoy every day to it's fullest. Make sure you and Mango do something fun together every day. My thoughts go out to you.

·
Lucky's Mom
215 Posts
I am so sorry for the horrible news you have received. Cancer just sucks, its scary and it takes away power (which is the scariest part for me). A few things. One you probably have an awesome vet, no doubt, but in a situation like this, have another doctor look over the facts. Its always good to get two opinions. I think when it comes to cancer, when diminishing the disease is not possible, the best course of treatment is symptom management. You see it all the time in humans, a positive attitude can really help in beating the odds. So yes in dogs this is a little trickier, but a happy dog is a dog that feels good. Pain meds, acupuncture, whatever your options are to keep that tail wagging is what will buy you more time. This is news no dog owner or vet likes to hear or give. I am so sorry once again. Wishing you best of luck and lots of good memories to come with your puppy!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Do you have a veterinary oncologist in the area to get a second opinion on a possible course of treatment? When our golden boy Paul had cancer this wonderful doctor at the UW Madison Veterinary Teaching Hospital was nothing short of awesome. He is now in your area (Fort Collins) and I would highly recommend arranging a consultation. You can even tell him that Paul Denny's parents recommended him to you. Either way, a second opinion from a vet oncologist is a good idea.

Here's Dr. Thamm's information:
Colorado State University Flint Animal Cancer Center - Fort Collins, Colorado - Dr. Doug Thamm

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Mango :( I know that Steroids did wonders for a little while for my baby, Braxton. We did try Chemo, but it didn't give us the outcome we were really hoping for. Make lots of happy memories and take lots of pictures of your good times together. ((Hugs))

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
My thoughts are with you both, also. I say that as we are awaiting biopsy results from a mass on Flirty's spleen. My heart goes out to you.

Reactions: Karen519

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Mango and Max

I am so sorry to hear that Mango and Max have cancer.
I know you will live each day to its fullest with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So sorry to hear about Mango :( we are dealing with a similar situation right now. So far I have found that a mixture of flaxseed oil and cottage cheese (called the Budwig protocol for cancer) have helped the most. The omega-3's are anti-inflammatory and can shrink tumors. The one I'm using is called Buddy Custard if you want to look into it for Mango!

·
Registered
93 Posts
So sorry to hear about Mango :( we are dealing with a similar situation right now. So far I have found that a mixture of flaxseed oil and cottage cheese (called the Budwig protocol for cancer) have helped the most. The omega-3's are anti-inflammatory and can shrink tumors. The one I'm using is called Buddy Custard if you want to look into it for Mango!
The post is from almost 5 years ago :oops:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.