Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On high alert here... yesterday Rusty opened our gate to the chain link fence.. twice! No fluke.. So we had to put a lock on it. This morning he let himself AND Penny out into the wet yard from the screened room.. regular door.. They are too smart.. I should be happy they didn't go though the screened like some dogs might have.. They are so smart it is scary!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Yes, Noah can. He is an escape artist...should be an agent...might be. I have no idea what he does when we are at work.

Scales walls, picks locks, has the ability to "shimmy" out of things. He went trough some sort of covert training I think. We were always 3 steps ahead...but really five steps behind. Out smarted by a 6 month old puppy made us feel really smart. He's even smarter at 15 months...but does have his stupid moments I call him out on to make myself feel smart. : )

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Molson knows how to break into our house from the backyard (thankfully hasn't figured out the fence yet, or how to break OUT of the house), and has also broken into the off-limits Living & Dining rooms in our house too. We're going to have to get those child-proof plastic handles to put on our door knobs!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
We had to change our door handle on the door going into the garage. Bama was opening it and getting outside. And didnt close it behind himself so all the other animals followed him. Came home one time opened the garage and all the animals came running out. Scared me for a minute worrying that someone broke in but no it was Bama.
And on my screen door I had to put some magnets to keep it closed because the cats were using their claws to open the door. Now the magnets at the top and bottom holds it enought to keep them inside.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
We have three gates out of the yard, and locks on them all! They're easy pickings. Although, the times they've been opened the culprit has just stood on the other side with, "see what I just did" look on their face.

Inside it's Ok for them to open doors.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Yep. Copper opens doors with thumb latches or levers easily. the round knobs are sometimes opened, but present more of a problem.

Chain link fence gate and kennels present absolutely no problem.
I use an underground fence now since that doesn't have an hardware he can circumvent and he hasn't figured out how to run the battery down (yet).
He will decide to just take the hit and run through the fence if he really wants to. Luckily very few things elicit that response now that he is an old guy.

He'd be a real terror if he had opposable thumbs. ;-)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Bailey has been letting herself in and out of the sliding screen door for years. She's great at opening it, not so good at closing it behind her!LOL We have to watch or we have tons of flies in the house and one night even a bat! I was not a happy camper that evening:uhoh: LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts