Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, searched for this in threads but only came up with travelling options!

I'm making a 12ish hour drive with Nana in the next two weeks (Moving out of state!) and I have no room for a crate as the back of the car is just full of boxes of my belongings. I will have a seatbelt+harness combo for her, but my primary concern is her fitting in the front seat. She is able to sit for sure, but I want her to be able to lie down if she wants to because 12 hours is a long time. Does your golden fit, laying down in the front seat? I will try to train her, but I just want to know if it is possible first! It's a small Honda Fit, if that helps, and she is 60 pounds!

Worst comes to worst, I will move some boxes up front and try my best to clear a space for her in the back, but I really want her next to me so I can see if she is comfortable or not. I plan on stopping often to allow her to stretch her legs! I'm more than prepared for this drive, but I don't want my poor pup to have to sit up all drive long. There was once I was stuck in unexpected traffic for 3 hours long where she sat up the whole time. It could have been my imagination, but she seemed sick of sitting but just couldn't figure out how to lay down.

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of car you drive but if it has a front air passenger bag (and most do these days!), it's not recommended to put a dog or child in front with you with the front passenger or side curtain airbags operational. That said, we have a 2 seat convertible (no back area at all) and my Golden can sit and curl up in the front seat with me, but he's not comfortable in it and when he moves to reposition he often hits the emergency flasher control. It's our vehicle of last resort for transporting a dog, and only for short 5 miles or less distances.

There are a lot of threads on the forum here (you can utilize the search feature on the brown bar above) about dog seat belt harnesses. They are your best option if you can't fit a crate. Only one really passed all aspects of the most current test on their efficacy and safety- the one by Sleepy Pod called the Click It Utility Harness.

In any event, make sure your boxes are secure and cannot come flying into the front passenger or driver areas should you make a sudden stop as it could potentially injure or kill and your pup. I've heard of both being injured by flying things not secured in the back or cargo area when the driver made a sudden stop. Perhaps you might consider a trailer hitch with a U-Haul in the back to make it much more comfortable and safer for you both.

Safe travels!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hummmm. Thor is about 65 pounds, and he wouldn't be able to comfortably lie down in the front seat of my Subaru Forester. He could ball up and fit, but probably wouldn't like it, he likes to spread out to sleep. If your pup is one of those who likes to sleep wound up in a ball then maybe it could work. Also there is the airbag issue to consider. Another thing you can do if the stuff behind the sit allows it is to recline the seat a lot thus giving her more room?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Unless you can turn off the air bag on that side, I'd say no. We have that option in our RV. The Clickit Harness is coming out with the Sport version in October. Looks much easier to fit and wear. That's my choice for mine.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
"Perhaps you might consider a trailer hitch with a U-Haul in the back to make it much more comfortable and safer for you both."

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Uhaul will have a hitch for a Honda Fit. I found several search results suggesting that trailer towing was not recommended and will void the warranty.
Perhaps a rooftop carrier would be an option so you could clear the back seats for lay down room?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I haven't done a twelve hour drive, but Rowdy has ridden in the passenger seat for many 9 hour drives just fine in my convertible. The only issue that I've had is everything being covered in drool on a warm day.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
My pup would fit but not comfortably and I really would not want him on the passenger's seat at all - I like him secured in the back.

If you have no other option, I agree with getting the best seatbelt harness out there and see if you can disengage the air bags on that side.
I personally would rather clear a spot on the backseat for her and have boxes next to me.

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
I agree that the best option is the back seat with harness/seat-belt! Use the front passenger seat and floor for storage, thus clearing a spot for the back seat.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
boxes in the front...dog in the back. When I see a dog in the front seat I worry about the air bag. Have a safe trip!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Don't do it! One of my brother's dogs was killed when the front passenger seat airbag deployed in a minor fender-bender type accident. The cars were each only going around 25 mph - but the airbag deployed. It broke the dogs neck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the valuable advice! I will try my best to clear a space in the cargo area for Nana, and if that isn't possible, I will put the back of the passenger seat down a little so she might be more comfortable! I'm sure there is a way to disengage airbag as well. That's an excellent point that I did not even consider before!

I'm really looking forward to getting the move over with! My new place is about a mile away from a national park that I can go hiking with Nana in! And the backyard is just humongous for fetch.

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
If you have a Honda Fit, try putting the bottom of the back seat up, and let Nana lay on the floor. She would probably have enough room if you only did half of the back seat. You could put cargo on the front passenger seat and the rest of the rear area. The Fit has a lot of flexibility with the "Magic Seat" system.

·
Riley
1,023 Posts
My airbag turns off automatically with Zelda's weight at about 45 pounds (fun fact: my backpack also turns it off on my way to class). However, she hates the front seat. She's pretty small I think, and she would really LIKE to sit up front by me, but she cannot get comfortable lying down. I have a ford focus for reference.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you have a Honda Fit, try putting the bottom of the back seat up, and let Nana lay on the floor. She would probably have enough room if you only did half of the back seat. You could put cargo on the front passenger seat and the rest of the rear area. The Fit has a lot of flexibility with the "Magic Seat" system.
Would definitely do that if I had the space. Unfortunately, I'm moving all of my belongings and need both back seats to be down!

But you're right. The Magic Seat is awesome and one of the big reasons why we chose this car! : )

·
Registered
773 Posts
boxes in the front...dog in the back. When I see a dog in the front seat I worry about the air bag. Have a safe trip!
Yea, with Murphy1 and Max's Dad, I don't think either of them or my Bentley, are front seat dogs. I am pretty sure all are 100 lbs + dogs and I have a small Mercedes so I am lucky to have him not ride in the luggage rack. I have a teenager in Bentley and he is all over the place, even through the sunroof.

Attachments

·
3 goldens
12,032 Posts
I agree.---dogs in the back seat of a car or pick up. We never allowed Scooter to ride in the back (bed) of son's pick up--even wet and muddy after duck hunting--but he didn't have a passenger side air bag.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Golden Travelling in Vehicle - aka Automotive AC Den

Our Golden Pup sleeps through most of our short trips of Southern Ontario (3 hour stretches) as he lies on the floor (Honda Accord passenger side floor with the seat pushed back or on the floor behind the front bucket seats of our truck with air conditioning vents of both vehicles ON for his travelling comfort).

The dimension of our Pups "Automotive Den" for the Honda Accord may be bit larger than the Honda fit however, perhaps you can create a space behind the front seat floor stretching from the driver to the passenger side.

·
Kate
22,290 Posts
Short answer is yes.

Most cars allow you to turn those passenger air bags off.

My Jacks is my copilot when I take both boys... Bertie gets to sit up there if it's just him and me.

·
Registered
13,300 Posts
She'd fit. As long as your air bag is off, and she is belted in, you should be okay. I realize it isn't your first choice , but I get your dilemma. When I had my 2-door Civic eons ago, I drove from Montreal to Halifax with Tesia in the front seat. She was belted - and while it was hard to lie down, she did manage.

You will want to make sure she is very snugly secured - think about if you slam on the breaks. I would put the seat belt through the harness loop - don't attach it with her leash (she'd have too much slack). Again, it'll be harder for her to move around, but she'll be safer. You could also try putting stuff on the floor in front of the seat, and then put a dog bed on the seat and on whatever is on the floor in front of it. Makes it a bit more comfortable.

Reactions: Charmie and Megora

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You could also try putting stuff on the floor in front of the seat, and then put a dog bed on the seat and on whatever is on the floor in front of it. Makes it a bit more comfortable.
That is another fantastic idea! I bet I could make the front seat a perfect sleeping haven somehow.

I will make sure the seat belt is secure. I myself have slammed into the front of a dashboard when I was younger because my older brother once thought it would be funny to tell me to take off my seat belt and get out of the car, and promptly hit the gas and brake in quick succession (he was a VERY careless older brother). I bit my lip pretty hard and my face hurt for the rest of the day. Definitely won't take that chance with my poor pup. Taking the long car ride is suffering enough!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts