Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Maggie Riley & Hank's Mom
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this may sound like a real stupid question, but I would really appreciate input on this, please! I have two golden girls, aged 18 months. They are inside/outside dogs. We have 4 acres with a pond, so they love being outside quite a bit. I work at home, so they are mainly with me during the day (again, in and out) and sleep outside (they do prefer it!) in a very nice dog kennel/shelter. My question is, is there anyway to protect their coats with all this exposure to the elements? They are bathed and brushed quite often, and I do ocassionally use a special conditioner on them that keeps them pretty soft and pretty.

I don't show these girls, but my boys show them in 4H, and I would like to start training them for titles in field/agility myself. However, we are getting a show-quality (we hope!!) male this winter, and while our goals center around field work, what if I want to show him in confirmation as well? Am I doomed with regards to his coat?? Everyone I know keeps telling me that I cannot have a golden outside this much and show it in conformation, as the coat will be ruined. I don't see how with proper and frequent grooming, as they are work dogs, with a coat to match. ??

Any help or suggestions? Thank you so much!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts