Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our son Ian was having a good sized fudge brownie on the couch when the door bell rang. In the ensuing chaos with how our Sienna greets visitors, she got and ate the entire said brownie.

I stepped out on the front stoop and chatted with our neighbors who brought over a yummy pumpkin bread loaf. When I came back in my son was in tears under the blanket. He told me what happened and said "Now she's gonna die!!!"

I am thinking she will be fine, aside from possibly an upset tummy? Anything I should do? Don't really want to discover puke or runny poop on Christmas eve. Not the present I want.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
My friend's lab recently ate bakers cocoa. Aside from some bad poop and a hyperactive dog, he was fine. One brownie in a med/large dog shouldn't be a problem. Many dogs before her have eaten the same or worse and have lived to tell the tale... with a wagging tail!

Tell sweet Ian his pup will be fine!

Merry Christmas!

·
Kathy mom to Jasper
807 Posts
My mini doxie once ate a half of bag of choc. one holloween and he was fine. He only weighed 12 lb. So big girl Sienna will be fiine! Hugs to your son.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Obie downed a brownie two weeks ago -- tell him Obs is "old & frail", yet had no ill effects AT ALL -- 'course it's a good thing Ian's aware of no chocolate for dogs

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Please tell Ian that Sienna will be ok. It is a very small amount and there will be little side effects. Give him a hug and tell him it is alright.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
{{hugs}} to Ian....his girl will be fine...Lexi ate a bunch of brownies when she was about a year old...she had some rather 'chocolate-y' poop...but was fine :)

·
Just make it happen
481 Posts
Interesting thread. My family always freak when we see any hint of chocolate on the ground no matter the size. I was aware that dogs should never eat chocolate but never knew there was an amount that is needed for them to actually become sick.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I am sure Sienna will be fine. What a sweet boy to worry about Sienna rather than the delicious brownie he was eating.
^^This^^

Please tell sweet Ian that my dog once ate half a triple chocolate birthday cake (it was the humans fault because we didn't supervise the cake) and he was just fine. No ill effects at all and he was one happy dog! :)

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
That's funny (funny-odd not funny-haha) because another forum member posted earlier today that her dog ate four chocolate cookies and two pieces of fudge!

Your nephew is sweet to worry about your pup but I'm sure she'll be fine. I guess no one has told goldens they shouldn't eat chocolate!;)

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone!!:p: I had Ian read all your responses and he was smiling. It really helped for him to see.

Miss Sienna seems to be doing okay, may be a little wired, but that could also be from the differences in routine tonight LOL. We shall see how she is tomorrow.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Reminds me of when our Duff was left in the house with fudge my mother had made. 1/2 a pound of fudge. Individually wrapped in aluminium. She pushed it back on the counter. Darned if that dog didn't find that fudge and eat the whole half pound. Left every single piece of aluminium though. Smaaaaaart dog. Ate only the good stuff. He was fine. So I'm reasonably confident that one brownie won't hurt Sienna. Smart kid though and obviously adore her.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Our last Golden ate a giant size candy bar while we were out of town & my Mom was watching her.
I used to bring home a brownie from a resteraunt we went to. Never fail that same Golden would find the Brownie & eat it. One day I thought I would be smart & leave the brownie in the car. Then later that evening I needed milk so I took our Golden in the car & went to the store. When I came out, there was our Golden eating my Brownie, yet again!
Someone just recently posted the amount of chocolate most likely needed to cause a problem.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Yup, has happened here too! I had a 15 pound dog eat a whole bag of oreo cookies.

And another time somone grabbed the german chocolate cake off the counter.

Not only was no one phased by these dietary choices, but no one gained a single pound either!

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
i agree with a pp - how wonderful that he was much more concerned about his dog than losing his treat.

and, let him know tis the season for dogs to get into all sorts of stuff they shouldn't. we just went through this with Faith yesterday - she ate chocolate cookies and some fudge. so far, it does not seem to have affected her at all. no puking, and her poop this morning was not as firm as usual, but nowhere near runny or loose.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sierra decided to be naughty when we were gone to my sisters last night.
She pulled out some garbage and then found my husbands bag of angel food candy (chocolate covered sponge candy) and ate the remainder of the bag (thankfully it was only a couple of pieces).
Stinker!
Karen

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
As a child, my family had a toy poodle named Misty. Well, my mom made a tray of brownies for my dad. And, to hide them from all of us, she hid them under their bed! (NOT a good idea!) Of course, Misty found them, and ate probably all of them! No ill effects that I can remember!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for all your kind wishes and stories :p:

I am wondering though, as she peed in her crate this morning :uhoh:
We we got up she was licking her paws quite a bit (guess she peed on them?) and didn't want to come out of the crate- which is something she never does-almost like she was embarrassed. She did drink a lot of water when she got out.

She is acting fine otherwise, but a bit unnerving.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts