Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post this separately so it didn't get lost in Liberty's vet thread...

Those of you that have tick expereince....are there any TBD that can bring on acute seizure activity? Lib had a negative Snap4 last month - should it be repeated???

Those of you that have dogs with thyroid conditions...are there thyroid conditions that about sudden seizure activity...
Liberty's seizures are not grand mal....no loss of bladder/bowel function...
They are tremor like that seem to start with her head...

Thanks....

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I know hypothyroid can result in seizures. The onset of seizures always seems sudden, but not always so many! Don't know if they always take the same form. My Max had grand mal seizures. Praying for Liberty.

·
Registered
16,393 Posts
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever caused mild seizures and vomiting for one of my instructor's goldens in Freeport last week. He had anaplasmosis and Lyme too, though they werent sure if it was active infection or antibodies. The RMSF was a new infection. He had the same kind of focal/flycatcher seizures my Finn gets. It took some time to diagnos, but responded fast to treatment. You dont have many ticks, do you? Did you recently put on new flea/tick stuff like Advantix? Did anyone use cocoa mulch? I can't imagine what happened with Miss Liberty, but I hope she is absolutely fine. Could she have been stung by a bee/hornet/yellow jacket?

·
Registered
10,477 Posts
Has she been treated with any flea/tick products? My friend's Terv had tremors when he had organo-phosphate poisoning.

Has your yard, or any yard or golf course, etc where she might have been, been treated by a lawn service?

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She was treated 3+ weeks ago with Frontline Plus - seems like too long for these symptoms to appear....

We dont treat our lawns, one neighbor has in the past, but hasn't this year...(she doesn't travel there anyway....)
The airport doesn't chemically treat....however the airport property abuts a golf course...wonder about chemical drift?
We dont let the dogs travel on the golf course, and there are plenty of good healthy weeds all over the air strip - but food for thought and will mention to the vet....

training kennel doesnt chemically treat...the public areas we train are all asphalt.

I have not used any fertilizers on my gardens this year - havent spread mulch of any kind...my gardens are fenced anyway...I have only non-toxic plantings in the exercise yard...she is (generally speaking) not a plant eater.

She visits one of our neighbors yard occasionally will have to ask about cocoa mulch....its been 2+ weeks since we have visited their yard...

I really appreciate the brainstorming it is helping me focus....
Hank I will take a good look at that site...thanks for the link.

I did go back to the field....she got into putrified garbage...Im 90% sure that is the location...no sign of mushrooms anywhere....but there were LOTS of slugs attached to the garbage...

·
Registered
16,393 Posts
Oh LIBERTY- Why, why, why do they each such seriously disgusting things? Rhetorical question.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts