Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
There's a lot going on here- both are ICT carriers - that seems foolish given neither of them are highly titled and since it's the bitch's choice, I wonder if stud dog is just convenient. He, n
or his sire and dam, are particularly accomplished. So there's that, the 25% likelihood for each puppy to be affected w ICT- and stud dog's eyes are years out of date.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There's a lot going on here- both are ICT carriers - that seems foolish given neither of them are highly titled and since it's the bitch's choice, I wonder if stud dog is just convenient. He, or his sire and dam, are particularly accomplished. So there's that, the 25% likelihood for each puppy to be affected w ICT- and stud dog's eyes are years out of date.
Thanks for that!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
All responsible breeders should test for it. I own a field bred with ICT. He is a wonderful dog. He’s got his CGC, DS, JH title and will be testing for SH title starting next weekend. I would NEVER breed two carriers unless it was an FC/AFC Golden breeding, not likely to happen, but then I would say okay.

There are too many good stud dogs out there to justify breeding two carriers. My boy will never be bred. For me it shows a lack of concern for good breeding. If you know better you do better.

It’s an annoyance at the very least. I give supplements and do extra grooming. Most of the time I’m the only one aware he has it. You will vacuum more then for shedding. I have two cars with dark interior and have to vacuum them every-time he gets in or you see the white flakes. I love my boy but I would never buy another affected dog unless there was a HUGE reason.

·
Registered
8 Posts
All responsible breeders should test for it. I own a field bred with ICT. He is a wonderful dog. He’s got his CGC, DS, JH title and will be testing for SH title starting next weekend. I would NEVER breed two carriers unless it was an FC/AFC Golden breeding, not likely to happen, but then I would say okay.

There are too many good stud dogs out there to justify breeding two carriers. My boy will never be bred. For me it shows a lack of concern for good breeding. If you know better you do better.

It’s an annoyance at the very least. I give supplements and do extra grooming. Most of the time I’m the only one aware he has it. You will vacuum more then for shedding. I have two cars with dark interior and have to vacuum them every-time he gets in or you see the white flakes. I love my boy but I would never buy another affected dog unless there was a HUGE reason.
That was very useful. Thank you very much for that.

·
Super Moderator
464 Posts
Ichthyosis is a disease, so it is a big deal. I wouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise. There is no excuse to breed two carriers. (In fact, if people would just stop breeding carriers at all, we could get it out of the gene pool.) So personally I wouldn't buy a puppy from this breeding, as one parent has insufficient cardiac clearances (practitioner vs cardio) eyes are out of date and some of the puppies are going to be ichthyosis sufferers.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
This is a breeding of two Ichthy Carriers. Is the breeder going to test puppies before sending them home? Two Carriers bred together can produce Affecteds and while Affecteds can have mild cases, they can also have severe cases. Severe ichthyosis is not debilitating but can be gross, with the dog shedding large flakes of skin everywhere.

Carriers and Affecteds can be bred to Clears, and will not produce any puppies with the disease. Unless the dogs involved are outstanding, I would not breed two Carriers together.

Eyes are out of date on the sire and the cardiac clearance was done by a practitioner, so it is insufficient.

It’s not the riskiest litter I’ve seen, but it could be better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Abe to Denver- tons TONS better choice from the testing standpoint. And all others, really, too- since we have better pedigrees.
That's great! I'm really hoping to get a pup from this breeder (who seems to be lovely, too). But was looking at other options as well in case missed out.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Going back to the first breeding, I am in favor of this breeding. Ich in field goldens is usually hardly noticeable if at all. You will find the first breeding to have puppies to be very biddable and easy to work with. I would ask the breeder if both parents have off switches. If they do, they will be wonderful in the house and often are very cuddly puppies. They will have shorter coats and shed very little. Personally I have had both field dogs and a show dog (and others of show breeding), and I’ve found field dogs to be very light shedders and have very low maintenance coats. For my lifestyle, I want low maintenance and a dog that can swim all day and I don’t have to worry about problems with coat developing. My show dog was beautiful and I enjoyed running her around the ring and she was a very good hunting dog. But she was that girl that only did what she wanted to, which thankfully was hunting, but it was not listening to me.
So get the dog that fits your lifestyle. Saturday Night is a good breeder and has produced some really nice dogs. I don’t know much about Adirondac. And if you are worried about ich, just ask the breeder if they test pups before going home, and that you don’t want affected.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts